Situated within half-a-mile of Ingrow at what a Victorian guidebook called “a considerable elevation” (975ft above sea level at its highest point), the hamlet of Hainworth seems to inhabit a different world from its urban neighbours.
Prominent on the left is its Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, built in 1884 to accommodate 200; even its predecessor in 1847 could seat 150.
When weather permitted, the Hainworth Wesleyan Sunday School used to hold a popular open-air anniversary on the third Sunday each June. In 1930 this attracted more than 800 to its evening service. Many years ago a “Memory Lane” reader recalled such occasions.
“All the men carried forms from the chapel on to the Green. A temporary pulpit was fixed to the gate and the harmonium pulled to the doorway,” she wrote. “The tiny village was full to overflowing, the sound of hymns sailing lustily over the hills. It was so uplifting and satisfying. Everyone had company. Tables in all houses had best tablecloths and tea sets filled with homemade bread and cakes.” Alas, the chapel closed for worship in 1977. It is now a home. The photograph has been supplied by Mr Kevin Seaton, of Shann Lane, Keighley.