The assorted bystanders add colour to this view of Stanbury and the Friendly Inn, photographed a century or more ago.
The horse and cart in the background appears to be a focus of attention.
Stanbury was a self-sufficient village, with a branch of the Haworth Co-operative Society, a “school-church” and a Wesleyan chapel, a post office and a Mechanics’ Institute, which included a library.
Its Board School at this time was famous. Naturalists’ societies, university students, educationalists and journalists visited it, drawn by the progressive methods of its headmaster, Jonas Bradley, an exponent of outdoor nature study, who took classes on country walks to examine local flora and fauna.
When the schoolyard was concreted in 1908, a margin was left for flowers.
Pupils planted what the logbook called a “wagon-load” of shrubs, and would come back after school to water them. They sent exhibits to a nature study exhibition at Regent’s Park, dug for Roman roads, and explored the complexities of their proposed adjacent waterworks.
The photograph has been supplied by Mr Ian Brierley, of Bridgehouse Lane, Haworth.