About Cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies.

Memory Lane

Women war workers in 1918 at Longbottom and Farrar, Alice Street, Keighley

Keighley women support the war effort

The Buzz is that Keighley has a great public washhouse

All the modern comforts and a chance to chat during public wash day in Keighley

The entrance to Keighley swimming baths of Spencer Street, remodelled in 1960, awaits demolition in 1989

Clean, modern, but not aggressive – Keighley's new swimming baths frontage in 1960

(1)
Keighley's swimming baths on Albert Street/Spencer Street, opened in 1876 as the Keighley Baths and Wash-houses

When Keighley's swimming baths became a dance hall

High Street, Keighley, which is still broadly identifiable from this photo

Keighley 'in process of transformation'

North Street, Keighley, on the brink of being widened and rebuilt

Keighley street about to be rebuilt

North Street, Keighley, with Chapel Lane (now Russell Street) on the right behind the bystander and lamp-post

North Street houses were doomed

Private William Greenbank of the Scottish Horse who lived in Cross Roads, Keighley

Gassed, wounded and hit by trench fever -- but Cross Roads soldier William Greenbank survived the war

A nautical contribution to a pre-war Keighley Gala procession

Gala procession is shipshape

A barge photographed on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, behind the Riddlesden War Memorial Institute

Canal days of commercial traffic

This motor launch from Windermere was a familiar sight on the local stretch of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal during the Great War

Wounded soldiers take to the water

The former Keighley Mechanics’ Institute, at the corner of North Street and Cavendish Street, pictured during the severe winter of 1947

Worst winter for years grips Keighley

Residents at Riddlesden battle to clear the snow in February, 1933

Keighley hit by 'the great snowstorm'

Hot refreshments are prepared at the side of Redcar Tarn, where skaters congregated

Keighley's tarn transformed into skating 'mecca'

The Britannia Hall in Market Street, which was demolished in 1984 to make way for part of Morrisons' car park

Hall was one of Keighley's most impressive Victorian buildings

The heavily-barred bonded warehouse – officially No 1 Duty Free Warehouse – which stood in Cooke Lane, Keighley

A rum deal for Keighley warehouse

The former Cosy Corner Picture House in Keighley

Fondly-remembered picture house

Office staff at the Royal Ordnance Factory, Steeton, in Christmas 1941

Christmas at Steeton's Royal Ordnance factory

Christmas in 1906 at the Keighley and District Victoria Hospital

Christmas in hospital

A wartime Christmas party at the Woodbine Day Nursery in Skipton Road

Wartime festive party

Youngsters enjoy a Christmas party put on by Keighley Liberals in 1928

Festive fun for Keighley youngsters

A seasonal display in 1928 at the Central Stores of the Keighley Industrial Co-operative Society Limited

Seasonal display at Keighley Co-op

The certificate awarded to Jack Wells, who traded as W Rhodes, joiner and undertaker at Low Mill, Ingrow

Reward for Keighley trader

Back Aireworth Street in Keighley decorated for the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth

Keighley street celebrates coronation

Sunday School children line North Street on August 9, 1902, the Coronation Day of King Edward VII

Procession marks king's coronation

The Halifax Building Society on the corner of Cavendish Street with Lawkholme Crescent is decorated for the coronation

Town celebrates

The animal fair at Junction, which was one of the most popular in the Craven area

Crosshills becomes a real crossroads for animal fairs

Keighley 's cattle fair splls out into Scott Street to make way for the trams in North Street

Cattle fair fills the backstreets of Keighley

Local worthies gathered at the Keighley auction to raise money for the Red Cross

Auctioneer doesn't fancy facing a ferret!

The Exchange Vaults in Keighley's High Street

Alcoholic 'treats' at Keighley Vaults

General William Booth of the Salvation Army visits Keighley

Salvation Army general visits Keighley

Kildwick Brass Band marches in the procession at Keighley Gala

Kildwick Brass Band marching on together

Silsden police station, with boarded-up windows and damaged tiles, after the riot on April 8, 1911

Outbreak of violence at Silsden

Policemen and Police War Reservists responsible for the maintenance of law and order in the Worth Valley during the Second World War

Worth Valley law enforcers

James Leach, who served in a forerunner of Keighley’s regular police force

Keighley's watchman

Sunnydale Mill, above East Morton

East Morton mill's claim to fame

Goose Eye when it was still a working hamlet centred on Turkey Mill

A working hamlet

Holme Mill, which has been occupied by paper tube makers J Stell and Sons Ltd since 1892

Keighley mill drew attention of Luftwaffe

The Cavendish Hotel receives a between-the-wars delivery

Taking delivery at a Keighley hotel

The Queen Street Arms, in a part of Keighley which has since disappeared under the Airedale Centre

Pub has since made way for shopping centre

(1)
The former White Horse Inn

Licence was refused

(2)
John Moore, who with brother Nathan preached at the annual Scartop 'charity'

A mainstay of the Victorian chapel

The old Quaker meeting house in Mill Hill Street, approximately on the site now occupied by the Salvation Army

Lost in clearance

The Swedenborgian – or New Jerusalem – Society met here in King Street, where Acres Mill, belonging to member Berry Smith, adjoined and eventually expanded round it

Swedish teachings in Keighley

Her Royal Highness Princess Mary at the official opening of a new electro-medical block at Victoria Hospital

Princess Mary opens Keighley hospital block

Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal accompanies the mayor, Tom Snowden, along North Street in Keighley during Wings for Victory Week

Royal visit in Wings for Victory Week

Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal visits Silsden in 1934 to officially open the 14-acre playing fields

Royal seal of approval for Silsden playing fields

Some employees at the Keighley depot of the West Yorkshire Road Car Company Ltd photographed in 1952

Family life on the buses

Two West Yorkshire buses on a cautious descent of Haworth Main Street, pictured in about 1938

Cautious descent of Haworth Main Street

This was the bleak bus terminus at Thwaites Brow while the service was being operated by the Premier Transport Company Ltd, of Chapel Lane, Keighley

Early days of public transport

Keep in touch with local news

Sign up for email alerts

Most Popular

  • 1

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

Research local amenities