Serves four to six portions
For the cake mixture
125g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
125g/4oz caster sugar
125g/4oz self-raising flour, sieved
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
A little milk might be needed
For the filling
500g/1lb cooking or dessert apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
50g/2oz caster sugar or more to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4.
2. In a roomy mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric handwhisk till light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs slowly so not to curdle.
4. Gently fold in the sieved flour with a metal spoon thoroughly, then put to one side. Note: a little milk might be needed if the mixture is a little stiff.
5. Thinly slice the apples and place them in a 20cm/8'' round ovenproof dish or similar container, sugaring each layer as you build them up.
6. Spoon the sponge mixture over the apples and spread out evenly.
7. Bake for around 45 minutes until the sponge is set and golden brown on top.
8. Once baked, sprinkle on top a little caster sugar and serve hot from the oven with lashings of good custard or sliced cold with a nice cup of tea.