Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting KNEWS to 80360, or email
Oakworth family to sue after being ill on break
They had hoped to enjoy a relaxing break at a family-friendly holiday resort.
Instead, James de Ledger St Claire, his partner Hayley Craven, three daughters and seven members of their extended family say they had a “holiday from hell” after being struck down with severe food poisoning days after arriving at Butlins in Skegness.
The family – including a four-year-old who was hospitalised with illness – are still suffering some symptoms of gastroenteritis nearly five months after the holiday in June.
Mr de Ledger St Claire, of Oakworth, said: “Our holiday was meant to be an enjoyable and relaxing break at a family-friendly and traditional resort – but in reality it was a nightmare.
“As soon as we arrived things didn’t seem right and the standards of cleanliness in some of the restaurants and children’s play areas were poor. Some food was undercooked, there were insects spotted around food serving stations in some of the restaurants, our hotel room stunk and some of the public toilets were disgusting. When we complained about feeling ill, some staff were unsympathetic.”
The group started to suffer sickness, diarrhoea and stomach cramps a few days into the trip, which they believe were caused by the conditions and poor hygiene at Butlins Skegness.
Mr de Ledger St Claire, 31, claimed a drain near a children’s play area was overflowing with sewage and public toilets had not been cleaned.
When they informed staff about the illness among their family, including children Lilly Mae, three, Daisy-Leigh, four, and eight-month-old Hattie-Lou, they claim they were not given access to the resort doctor.
They were asked to leave early to prevent other guests becoming ill, the family said.
Despite seeing their GP once since they had returned to their home in Griffe View, Low Bank Lane, they are still suffering from sickness, lethargy and diarrhoea.
The family have now instructed solicitors to take legal action against Bourne Leisure, Butlins’ parent company.
Their break came a year after 258 guests took legal action following holidays last year at Butlins Bognor Regis in which they suffered gastric illness.
Bourne Leisure denied responsibility.
A spokesman for Bourne Leisure said: “This case is with our solicitors and we are, therefore, unable to comment.
“However as advised by the Health Protection Agency, whenever we become aware that guests on resort have contracted a contagious disease that has the potential to affect a large number of people quickly we ask them to leave (when they are physically able) to minimise the risk to other guests.”