Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting KNEWS to 80360, or email
Lit wheelie bin was pushed against door of Keighley flat
2:02pm Thursday 25th October 2012 in News
A wheelie bin was set alight and pushed against the front door of a Keighley flat.
A smoke detector inside the ground-floor property alerted the occupant, who put out the flames, but fire chiefs warn the incident could have had much more serious consequences.
One crew from Keighley fire station was called out to the blaze, in Mornington Street, at 11pm on Tuesday.
Crew commander Richard Driver said: “In this case smoke detectors once again proved their value but if the occupant hadn’t have been alerted, the fire could have spread to the house.
“We advise people where possible to lock their wheelie bins or keep them well away from the house.”