Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting KNEWS to 80360, or email
Mum dies a year after hair dye coma collapse
A tragic mother who fell into a coma after colouring her hair at home has died more than a year later.
Julie McCabe, 38, of Cowling, had needed round-the-clock care for the past 13 months after collapsing when she started dyeing her hair with L’Oréal Preference hair dye in October last year. Mrs McCabe started struggling to breathe, then suffered heart failure and brain damage.
Mrs McCabe never recovered and was being treated at a Birmingham rehabilitation unit when she died in the early hours of last Thursday.
Her distraught family confirmed she had passed away, but the cause of her death and the circumstances surrounding it have not been revealed as yet.
It has been reported previously that Mrs McCabe’s family suspects she may have had a severe allergic reaction to paraphenylenediamine, a chemical found in hair dyes.
The mother-of-two, who had worked as an estate agent in Bradford, dyed her hair every six weeks but had never suffered a reaction before.
She leaves devastated parents Keith and Brenda Miller, husband Russell and children Luke, 21, and Abigail, 16.
Mrs McCabe’s family visited her in Birmingham every week.
After the incident last year, Mr Miller, 64, said Mrs McCabe had been rinsing the hair dye off after the recommended 20 minutes when she began struggling for breath.
She was initially taken to Airedale Hospital, where she was kept on a life-support machine.
At the time, a spokesman from L’Oréal said the company was “extremely concerned to hear about this serious situation”. The spokesman said the company would do everything it could to help Mrs McCabe’s family and medical team.