Faulty washing machine blamed for Keighley house blaze

A faulty washing machine was believed to be the cause of a blaze which badly damaged the kitchen of a house in Bronte Street, Keighley, early this morning.

Two fire engines from the Keighley station were called to the terraced property, off Bradford Road, at about 12.30am.

Watch commander Chris Hannah said the occupant had been out when the fire started but discovered it on his return.

The fire crews wore breathing apparatus and used two hose reels to extinguish the blaze.

Watch commander Hannah said the firefighters remained at the scene for an hour-and-a-half.

He added that the house was fitted with smoke detectors, which had functioned correctly.

People wanting smoke detectors and a free home safety check should contact Keighley Fire Station on 01535 607401.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree