Training to help on bad teaching in Keighley area

First published in News

Headteachers and school governors are to be trained on how to improve under-performing teachers.

The measure is part of a 15-point Bradford Council action plan designed to drive up standards in the district’s schools.

When the plan was being drawn up, one head teacher had raised concerns that the Council was too ‘risk-averse’ when it came to dealing with teachers who were not up to the job, and was often unwilling to see them dismissed in case the matter ended up in costly employment tribunals.

From next month, the authority will embark on a wide-scale programme of training for governors and headteachers on how to retrain and, in the most extreme cases, to dismiss staff who are failing to do their job to a high enough standard.

Councillor Ralph Berry, executive member for children’s services, said the changes would “not necessarily” result in more under-performing teachers leaving the profession.

He said the main aim was to ensure consistency and make sure the process happened in a timely way.

He said: “If you do get to a point where you are in capability assessments, it is not in anybody’s interests for them to be massively prolonged.”

Ian Murch, Bradford spokesman for the National Union of Teachers, said he backed the training, as long as it was not aimed at sacking more teachers.

He said: “There’s nothing wrong with training people in how to properly use processes, as long as they’re not saying the purpose of this training is to make sure that more teachers are dismissed.”

But he said it would be a mistake to think that it was currently too difficult to tackle under-performing teachers.

He said: “Teachers are under more pressure and more scrutiny than any other group of workers.”

Councillor Roger L’Amie, the Conservative spokesman for education, welcomed the roll-out of the training, saying consistency was key.

He said: “I think there is a two-pronged approach to this. Firstly, under-performing teachers have to be identified early and given opportunities for re-training or sometimes possibly a move, to allow them to come up to speed.

“Then there does need, as a last resort, to be a fairly quick method of getting rid of teachers who are just not up to the job.”

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:40pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Little Green Man says...

I'm suprised the 'Keighley Moaners' haven't pick up on this yet, if my boss thought I was bad at my job he would give me s P45 not help and I wouldn't blame him!
I'm suprised the 'Keighley Moaners' haven't pick up on this yet, if my boss thought I was bad at my job he would give me s P45 not help and I wouldn't blame him! Little Green Man
  • Score: 1

2:11am Tue 25 Mar 14

G_Firth says...

When will this government let teachers teach instead of box ticking.
2/3 of teachers time is filled with admin work leaving only 1/3 left for them to teach.
People can knock teachers all they want but 89% of them are bloody good teachers who do care a great deal about the work they do.
Its not training they need its freedom to teach and the funding to back that up as well.
When will this government let teachers teach instead of box ticking. 2/3 of teachers time is filled with admin work leaving only 1/3 left for them to teach. People can knock teachers all they want but 89% of them are bloody good teachers who do care a great deal about the work they do. Its not training they need its freedom to teach and the funding to back that up as well. G_Firth
  • Score: 0

4:35pm Thu 27 Mar 14

Kingchaser says...

G_Firth wrote:
When will this government let teachers teach instead of box ticking.
2/3 of teachers time is filled with admin work leaving only 1/3 left for them to teach.
People can knock teachers all they want but 89% of them are bloody good teachers who do care a great deal about the work they do.
Its not training they need its freedom to teach and the funding to back that up as well.
89%? That's a very specific statistic! It sort of implies that the other 11% have been identified. If they have they should be told to buck up or ship out.
[quote][p][bold]G_Firth[/bold] wrote: When will this government let teachers teach instead of box ticking. 2/3 of teachers time is filled with admin work leaving only 1/3 left for them to teach. People can knock teachers all they want but 89% of them are bloody good teachers who do care a great deal about the work they do. Its not training they need its freedom to teach and the funding to back that up as well.[/p][/quote]89%? That's a very specific statistic! It sort of implies that the other 11% have been identified. If they have they should be told to buck up or ship out. Kingchaser
  • Score: 2

8:31pm Thu 27 Mar 14

jimmy k says...

Kingchaser wrote:
G_Firth wrote:
When will this government let teachers teach instead of box ticking.
2/3 of teachers time is filled with admin work leaving only 1/3 left for them to teach.
People can knock teachers all they want but 89% of them are bloody good teachers who do care a great deal about the work they do.
Its not training they need its freedom to teach and the funding to back that up as well.
89%? That's a very specific statistic! It sort of implies that the other 11% have been identified. If they have they should be told to buck up or ship out.
that was exactly my thinking kingchaser,in most private companies if 11% of staff were under performing/incompete
nt the company would soon go out of business.
[quote][p][bold]Kingchaser[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G_Firth[/bold] wrote: When will this government let teachers teach instead of box ticking. 2/3 of teachers time is filled with admin work leaving only 1/3 left for them to teach. People can knock teachers all they want but 89% of them are bloody good teachers who do care a great deal about the work they do. Its not training they need its freedom to teach and the funding to back that up as well.[/p][/quote]89%? That's a very specific statistic! It sort of implies that the other 11% have been identified. If they have they should be told to buck up or ship out.[/p][/quote]that was exactly my thinking kingchaser,in most private companies if 11% of staff were under performing/incompete nt the company would soon go out of business. jimmy k
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree