Fire fighters broke into a smoke-logged Keighley house off West Lane last night.
The fire crew entered the house in Lustre Street after being called out at 7.30pm.
Keighley station watch commander Andy Quinn said the smoke was caused by a pan left on a hob, adding that the terraced house’s smoke detectors had gone off.
“A neighbour told us he thought a man might still be in the house, so we couldn’t take any chances,” he said.
“The occupier of the house hadn’t actually been inside – he arrived while we were still there.
“He’d left a hob on accidentally, then gone out. There were no flames, it was mostly smoke damage.”