Father and son escape from house blaze

First published in News by

A father and son escaped unhurt after a blaze broke out in the cellar of their home.

The son was awoken when a smoke detector activated shortly after midnight last night at the property in Fell Lane, Keighley.

A tumble drier had caught fire.

Two crews from Keighley fire station attended and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus brought the blaze under control within minutes.

There was extensive fire and smoke damage to the cellar area.

It is believed the blaze may have started due to an accumulation of fluff in the drier.

Tony Pearson, watch commander at Keighley fire station, said: “Fluff does collect in tumble driers and we do advise people to clean them out and get them serviced from time to time. On this occasion the smoke detector proved its worth and both occupants got out OK.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree