A piece of Cullingworth’s railway history could soon be returning to the village.

The nameboard from Cullingworth railway station lay abandoned for years after the station closed in 1955.

But now the 16ft-long, three-quarters-of-a-tonne sign has been rescued by rail enthusiasts Alan Whitaker and Richard Kunz, who aim to raise several hundred pounds to restore it and transport it back to the village.

Mr Whitaker said: “This is a significant piece of Cullingworth’s local history, and it would be good to see it back where it belongs.

“It would be a real shame if the opportunity to repair and repatriate it was lost just for the sake of a few hundred pounds.”

The reinforced concrete sign was found near the site of Cullingworth station in the early 1970s and recovered by the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society. It then lay untouched at the top of Oxenhope Station car park until last year, when it was retrieved and taken into storage by the two enthusiasts.

Mr Whitaker added: “If it hadn’t have been for the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway rescuing the sign in the 70s, it wouldn’t still be in existence, and they have been extremely helpful and supportive of our efforts. We are very grateful.”

It is hoped that once restored, the sign could be sited near the entrance to Cullingworth Village Primary School.

The cost of restoration and transport is estimated at about £750, and anyone interested in contributing is asked to contact Mr Kunz on 07803 138493 or parish clerk Angela Holmes on 01535 273265.