Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting KNEWS to 80360, or email
Silsden teenager gets his Disney dream
A Silsden teenager paralysed in a rugby accident is back from a dream family holiday to America.
Nathan Cubitt, 18, was able to travel to Florida with 10 family members and a nurse after a successful battle for travel insurance.
His mother, Sue Cubitt, described the two-week trip as “fantastic”.
“Nathan loved it,” she said. “He’d been there before when he was able to walk so has really been wanting to go back.
“We visited the parks, chilled out and went to Disney World. Nathan couldn’t go on all the rides but it was still great for him – he’s never been a big rides fan anyway.
“They’re really well geared up for people with disabilities over there. So much was accessible and the van we hired for Nathan was excellent.
“He also had a superb flight, there and back. We definitely want to go back again.”
Earlier this summer, Mrs Cubitt spoke of how she and her sister-in-law encountered “point-blank refusals” while trying to find travel insurance for Nathan, who broke his neck in a rugby match scrum in 2011. He uses a motorised wheelchair to get around.
He and his family had already paid out £11,500 from their savings for the holiday.
But despite Mrs Cubitt’s assurances that her son would have his health needs catered for, the insurance companies she contacted would not offer a quote.
After the Keighley News featured the family’s plight, readers got in touch with insurance suggestions.
And Keighley MP Kris Hopkins wrote to the chairman of the Association of British Insurers, requesting an urgent solution.
The Cubitts finally gained an acceptable travel insurance quote for Nathan in late September.
Mrs Cubitt said a tag rugby contest to support her son’s ongoing care costs would be taking place again on May 25 next year at Keighley Rugby Union Club.
Visit nathancubittrugby.blogspot. co.uk for more details.