Beauty spot safety row over footpath to Keighley Tarn

Keighley News: Harry Plunkett in Black Hill  Lane, where he wants a footpath built to improve safety for people walking to Keighley Tarn Harry Plunkett in Black Hill Lane, where he wants a footpath built to improve safety for people walking to Keighley Tarn

Keighley Tarn campaigners have clashed over plans to build a footpath to the hilltop beauty spot.
Some members of the lake’s Friends group believe a new pavement is essential to keep families safe while walking.
Others feel a path alongside Black Hill Lane would be too costly and could threaten the tarn’s rural status.
They believe it is more important to work on measures to protect wildlife, including the many waterbirds that visit the tarn.
Friends of Keighley (Redcar) Tarn was formed recently by town and district councillors, along with several people who live nearby.
The move grew out of a campaign by Keighley man Harry Plunkett to create a safer route to the tarn from busy West Lane.
The latest Friends meeting – in Keighley’s Central Hall – attracted more than 20 people to discuss a range of potential improvement projects.
Friends spokesman, Dorothy Tennant, said: “The main thing that came out of the meeting is nobody wants a footpath – it was more or less unanimous.
“People felt a path would bring the tarn into town. They believe it’s countryside and they want it kept apart.”
Mrs Tennant said Bradford Council had costed the footpath at £60,000, and several trees would have to be removed.
She added: “There’s a difficulty with the terrain. They’re talking about putting in a path about two feet wide, just enough for a pushchair but not a wheelchair.”
But Mr Plunkett, who was not at the latest meeting, said his main concern was helping parents get their children safely to Keighley Tarn to enjoy its beauty.
He added: “There are quite a lot of people who still want a pavement. There are a lot of families walking up there and taking a big risk.”
District councillor Jan Smithies, who helped set up the Friends group, insisted no formal vote had been taken at the meeting and that the pavement plan was still active.
She said local people are being sought to work on various tarn improvements, including both wildlife protection and road safety.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:32pm Fri 20 Dec 13

jimmy k says...

sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety.
sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety. jimmy k

9:18pm Fri 20 Dec 13

MarkPullen says...

jimmy k wrote:
sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety.
Keep it isolated to help the drug dealers, dogging fanatics, and those who wish to slowly kill wildfowl by feeding them white bread! :-(
[quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety.[/p][/quote]Keep it isolated to help the drug dealers, dogging fanatics, and those who wish to slowly kill wildfowl by feeding them white bread! :-( MarkPullen

10:44pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Stevo54 says...

Both right, my first recollection of this "project" was Harry Plunkett's good idea to have a footpath as the road is too dangerous for walkers and joggers etc. It now appears this has been hijacked by people wanting to turn into a wildlife park.
What will they want next? to introduce lions, giraffes and perhaps some penguins.
Both right, my first recollection of this "project" was Harry Plunkett's good idea to have a footpath as the road is too dangerous for walkers and joggers etc. It now appears this has been hijacked by people wanting to turn into a wildlife park. What will they want next? to introduce lions, giraffes and perhaps some penguins. Stevo54

8:03pm Sun 22 Dec 13

jimmy k says...

MarkPullen wrote:
jimmy k wrote:
sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety.
Keep it isolated to help the drug dealers, dogging fanatics, and those who wish to slowly kill wildfowl by feeding them white bread! :-(
right mark because drug dealers and doggers never use cars they walk everywhere ,in fact i can't see how you can "dog"if your not using a car ,so please enlighten me.
[quote][p][bold]MarkPullen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety.[/p][/quote]Keep it isolated to help the drug dealers, dogging fanatics, and those who wish to slowly kill wildfowl by feeding them white bread! :-([/p][/quote]right mark because drug dealers and doggers never use cars they walk everywhere ,in fact i can't see how you can "dog"if your not using a car ,so please enlighten me. jimmy k

10:47am Mon 23 Dec 13

MarkPullen says...

jimmy k wrote:
MarkPullen wrote:
jimmy k wrote:
sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety.
Keep it isolated to help the drug dealers, dogging fanatics, and those who wish to slowly kill wildfowl by feeding them white bread! :-(
right mark because drug dealers and doggers never use cars they walk everywhere ,in fact i can't see how you can "dog"if your not using a car ,so please enlighten me.
If the footpath isn't installed then it will receive less visitors.

Drug dealers and those engaging in dogging will have less witnesses.

Maybe I was being a little too obvious!?!
[quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MarkPullen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: sounds to me friends of keighley tarn are the enemies of young families , exercise and road safety.[/p][/quote]Keep it isolated to help the drug dealers, dogging fanatics, and those who wish to slowly kill wildfowl by feeding them white bread! :-([/p][/quote]right mark because drug dealers and doggers never use cars they walk everywhere ,in fact i can't see how you can "dog"if your not using a car ,so please enlighten me.[/p][/quote]If the footpath isn't installed then it will receive less visitors. Drug dealers and those engaging in dogging will have less witnesses. Maybe I was being a little too obvious!?! MarkPullen

11:10am Mon 23 Dec 13

Keighley Watch says...

Have to agree with Mark here, if you don't install a path it will attract less visitors and the undesirables will continue to flourish quietly dealing their poison, abusing those too young to legally participate and generally using the area as a one stop safe haven. Let's face it the police won't venture up there when they know this is happening will they?
Have to agree with Mark here, if you don't install a path it will attract less visitors and the undesirables will continue to flourish quietly dealing their poison, abusing those too young to legally participate and generally using the area as a one stop safe haven. Let's face it the police won't venture up there when they know this is happening will they? Keighley Watch

11:15am Mon 23 Dec 13

MarkPullen says...

Keighley Watch wrote:
Have to agree with Mark here, if you don't install a path it will attract less visitors and the undesirables will continue to flourish quietly dealing their poison, abusing those too young to legally participate and generally using the area as a one stop safe haven. Let's face it the police won't venture up there when they know this is happening will they?
When I lived/worked closer I used to visit the tarn regularly - it's 1/3 mile perimeter offered myself and others an easy exercise track (maybe extended when weaving around canine deposits!)

I also often witnessed dubious visitors - both in parked cars and on benches.

A greater presence by the public would, at most times of the day, reduce the benefits to those wishing to receive anonymity.

In the dark evenings/overnight it wouldn't be remiss for the local police force to occasionally make a visit neither.

Whilst the footpath wouldn't offer an easy walk, it would make those prepared to venture up do so with a greater element of safety.
[quote][p][bold]Keighley Watch[/bold] wrote: Have to agree with Mark here, if you don't install a path it will attract less visitors and the undesirables will continue to flourish quietly dealing their poison, abusing those too young to legally participate and generally using the area as a one stop safe haven. Let's face it the police won't venture up there when they know this is happening will they?[/p][/quote]When I lived/worked closer I used to visit the tarn regularly - it's 1/3 mile perimeter offered myself and others an easy exercise track (maybe extended when weaving around canine deposits!) I also often witnessed dubious visitors - both in parked cars and on benches. A greater presence by the public would, at most times of the day, reduce the benefits to those wishing to receive anonymity. In the dark evenings/overnight it wouldn't be remiss for the local police force to occasionally make a visit neither. Whilst the footpath wouldn't offer an easy walk, it would make those prepared to venture up do so with a greater element of safety. MarkPullen

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree