At least 150 people filled a Keighley church today to pay their final respects to a former town mayor and servant of the local community.

They gathered in St John’s Church, Ingrow, to celebrate the life of Councillor Brian Hudson, who died last month aged 72.

Delivering an emotional eulogy to his late friend, Thwaites Brow resident David Samuels said: “I loved Brian as a younger brother, yet he and I argued incessantly. We fell out with each other virtually every other week, and this we did for nigh on twenty years.

“However, our friendship remained firm in spite of the fact we were both fully aware that on every occasion we’d an argument, we were both always right!

“The title ‘Mr Keighley’ was long ago unofficially bestowed on him by a grateful citizen in this town, and rightly so I believe.

“So devoted to Keighley matters was he, that even a few hours before his passing Brian was discussing serious local issues with me.”

Mr Samuels singled out Coun Hudson’s massive contribution to Keighley Gala, adding that his involvement in other community activities was so extensive it was not possible to list them all in the time available.

He also highlighted his friend’s efforts to secure greater autonomy for Keighley, adding that Coun Hudson had tried to create a Keighley Town Council which was democratic, honest and transparent.

Earlier, Coun Hudson’s coffin had been carried into the church, preceded by a Royal British Legion standard bearer and followed by members of his family.

Among those present at the funeral were serving and former Keighley town councillors, as well as friends and relatives.

The mourners sang All Things Bright and Beautiful and Abide With Me. They donated money to Manorlands hospice, where Coun Hudson had died on January 28.

The service was led by the Rev Clive Kirke, who had known Coun Hudson personally from when they both served on Nessfield Primary School’s board of governors.

Mr Kirke said: “Brian worked as a joiner and loved to do a good job. He took a lot of pride in his work.

“He was never happier than when he was organising events for the people. I’m very happy to have known him, and I’m privileged to be leading this service.”

The service at St John’s was followed by committal at Oakworth Crematorium.