Now Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish Council gets to shape future

Keighley News: Councillor John Huxley Councillor John Huxley

A project to be launched on Monday could make a major impact on future building in a Worth Valley parish.

Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish Council, together with the local community, has set up a working group to draw up its Neighbourhood Development Plan.

The document will give the parish the power to say what kind of development will be allowed within its boundaries, what the development will look like and where it is placed.

Government localism legislation has given authority to parish councils to put together Neighbourhood Development Plans so communities can have a greater say in planning policies affecting their areas.

Haworth Parish Council was approved as the appropriate authority to deliver a plan by Bradford Council last November.

Parish council chairman Councillor John Huxley said: “This will be one of the most important pieces of work ever undertaken by our council.

“While it won’t give us the powers to refuse permission for developments, it would give us the opportunity to shape where housing and business development is allowed and what any kind of development looks like.

“This is a project that should matter to anybody who cares about the future of Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury.

“Bradford Council’s Local Development Framework projects Haworth should provide land for 500 new houses in the next 25 years. Preparing a Neighbourhood Plan and going for a Local Development Plan will give us a strong voice in that process.”

The working group will stage public consultations so it can demonstrate what parish residents think about what development should be allowed and where. The first consultation will be at St Gabriel’s Church in Stanbury from 10am until midday on March 15.

This will be followed by further meetings at Haworth Methodist Church, in West Lane, from 10am until midday on March 29; St James’s Church in Cross Roads, from 10am until midday on April 5 and then back at Haworth Methodist Church on April 23 from 7pm until 9pm.

Coun Huxley added: “We’re launching a publicity programme to engage as many in the parish as possible.

“We’re establishing our own website and a Facebook page, haworthcrossroadsstanburyndp .

“We’re appealing to anybody who cares about the future of the parish’s housing, jobs and land use to come to the consultations and make their feelings known.”

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:41am Mon 10 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

In another article this week this same council has expressed concerns regarding being "caught out" if subjected to filming of their meetings.
Yet this article simply highlights why there is an increasing need for the actions of any Parish council to be recorded and shared with a wider audience.
As the above article states-
"Government localism legislation has given authority to parish councils to put together Neighbourhood Development Plans so communities can have a greater say in planning policies affecting their areas.
Haworth Parish Council was approved as the appropriate authority to deliver a plan by Bradford Council last November."

So what each and every Parish council in England now has under the Localism Act is essentially "More Power".

Now they have been granted this power to affect the lives of individuals it stands to reason that they should be subject to more scrutiny in the processes they take to make their decisions.

Here's a tip for all councillors- why not behave with a level of decorum at all times, regardless of whether someone is recording your actions or not. That way it would be impossible to be "caught out".
This attitude does highlight why it is important to have the right to film, without it it seems councillors tend to act in a manner which is inappropriate.
In another article this week this same council has expressed concerns regarding being "caught out" if subjected to filming of their meetings. Yet this article simply highlights why there is an increasing need for the actions of any Parish council to be recorded and shared with a wider audience. As the above article states- "Government localism legislation has given authority to parish councils to put together Neighbourhood Development Plans so communities can have a greater say in planning policies affecting their areas. Haworth Parish Council was approved as the appropriate authority to deliver a plan by Bradford Council last November." So what each and every Parish council in England now has under the Localism Act is essentially "More Power". Now they have been granted this power to affect the lives of individuals it stands to reason that they should be subject to more scrutiny in the processes they take to make their decisions. Here's a tip for all councillors- why not behave with a level of decorum at all times, regardless of whether someone is recording your actions or not. That way it would be impossible to be "caught out". This attitude does highlight why it is important to have the right to film, without it it seems councillors tend to act in a manner which is inappropriate. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: -2

6:47am Tue 11 Mar 14

Little Green Man says...

Hi 206 slaphead! What you doing playing over here on your own? The big boys won't play with you anymore?
Hi 206 slaphead! What you doing playing over here on your own? The big boys won't play with you anymore? Little Green Man
  • Score: -4

7:41am Tue 11 Mar 14

OUT WITH CAVETOWN says...

The "Local" hero No4Skin self appointed leader Pendragon of the Non Political Group Cavetown it seems must be bored with the vindictive personal campaign waged against KTC, is now attempting to bully the Haworth , Cross Roads & Stanbury Parish Council.
Most of the Cavetown Gang are interrelated , which creates problems often delusional.
DO NOT FEED !.
The "Local" hero No4Skin self appointed leader Pendragon of the Non Political Group Cavetown it seems must be bored with the vindictive personal campaign waged against KTC, is now attempting to bully the Haworth , Cross Roads & Stanbury Parish Council. Most of the Cavetown Gang are interrelated , which creates problems often delusional. DO NOT FEED !. OUT WITH CAVETOWN
  • Score: -4

7:59am Tue 11 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

A neighbourhood development plan establishes general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood. This power has been given to all Town and Parish councils in England.
Decisions taken under this power will have effect all the residents of that area and as such it should be the right of anyone attending any council meeting anywhere to record any decision or resolution at any time without prior notice.
Under the Nolan Principles Town and Parish councils have an obligation to be open and transparent in their decision making.
I doubt very much that a Parish council such as Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council has the facilities to accommodate the entire electorate at it's meetings yet it will be at these meetings that decisions will be made which will affect residents for decades to come.
As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions.
At least Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council appear to be taking the right decision and engaging the Public at the beginning of the process.
A neighbourhood development plan establishes general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood. This power has been given to all Town and Parish councils in England. Decisions taken under this power will have effect all the residents of that area and as such it should be the right of anyone attending any council meeting anywhere to record any decision or resolution at any time without prior notice. Under the Nolan Principles Town and Parish councils have an obligation to be open and transparent in their decision making. I doubt very much that a Parish council such as Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council has the facilities to accommodate the entire electorate at it's meetings yet it will be at these meetings that decisions will be made which will affect residents for decades to come. As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions. At least Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council appear to be taking the right decision and engaging the Public at the beginning of the process. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 0

3:01pm Tue 11 Mar 14

OUT WITH CAVETOWN says...

OUT WITH CAVETOWN wrote:
The "Local" hero No4Skin self appointed leader Pendragon of the Non Political Group Cavetown it seems must be bored with the vindictive personal campaign waged against KTC, is now attempting to bully the Haworth , Cross Roads & Stanbury Parish Council.
Most of the Cavetown Gang are interrelated , which creates problems often delusional.
DO NOT FEED !.
DELUSIONAL !.
[quote][p][bold]OUT WITH CAVETOWN[/bold] wrote: The "Local" hero No4Skin self appointed leader Pendragon of the Non Political Group Cavetown it seems must be bored with the vindictive personal campaign waged against KTC, is now attempting to bully the Haworth , Cross Roads & Stanbury Parish Council. Most of the Cavetown Gang are interrelated , which creates problems often delusional. DO NOT FEED !.[/p][/quote]DELUSIONAL !. OUT WITH CAVETOWN
  • Score: -6

8:53pm Tue 11 Mar 14

jimmy k says...

Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
A neighbourhood development plan establishes general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood. This power has been given to all Town and Parish councils in England.
Decisions taken under this power will have effect all the residents of that area and as such it should be the right of anyone attending any council meeting anywhere to record any decision or resolution at any time without prior notice.
Under the Nolan Principles Town and Parish councils have an obligation to be open and transparent in their decision making.
I doubt very much that a Parish council such as Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council has the facilities to accommodate the entire electorate at it's meetings yet it will be at these meetings that decisions will be made which will affect residents for decades to come.
As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions.
At least Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council appear to be taking the right decision and engaging the Public at the beginning of the process.
oh yeh lets have professional politicians because there's no corruption or self interest in westminster,washingt
on etc.
[quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: A neighbourhood development plan establishes general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood. This power has been given to all Town and Parish councils in England. Decisions taken under this power will have effect all the residents of that area and as such it should be the right of anyone attending any council meeting anywhere to record any decision or resolution at any time without prior notice. Under the Nolan Principles Town and Parish councils have an obligation to be open and transparent in their decision making. I doubt very much that a Parish council such as Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council has the facilities to accommodate the entire electorate at it's meetings yet it will be at these meetings that decisions will be made which will affect residents for decades to come. As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions. At least Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish council appear to be taking the right decision and engaging the Public at the beginning of the process.[/p][/quote]oh yeh lets have professional politicians because there's no corruption or self interest in westminster,washingt on etc. jimmy k
  • Score: -6

9:38pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

Never said you should have professional politicians jimmy k. But when you have people who once sold fish and chips and who now sell cats online making multi million pound decisions it stands to reason that the more scrutiny of their actions the better.
Never said you should have professional politicians jimmy k. But when you have people who once sold fish and chips and who now sell cats online making multi million pound decisions it stands to reason that the more scrutiny of their actions the better. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 2

9:44pm Tue 11 Mar 14

jimmy k says...

so you don't want amateur politicians and you don' want professional ones,so that leaves..............
.....?
so you don't want amateur politicians and you don' want professional ones,so that leaves.............. .....? jimmy k
  • Score: -5

10:41pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

jimmy k wrote:
so you don't want amateur politicians and you don' want professional ones,so that leaves..............

.....?
Where have i said this jimmy? What i am saying is that these amateurs have been given more power to make decisions which affect peoples lives. Alongside this power should be more opportunities for scrutiny of their actions. Something which they at the moment are reluctant to allow.
[quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: so you don't want amateur politicians and you don' want professional ones,so that leaves.............. .....?[/p][/quote]Where have i said this jimmy? What i am saying is that these amateurs have been given more power to make decisions which affect peoples lives. Alongside this power should be more opportunities for scrutiny of their actions. Something which they at the moment are reluctant to allow. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 3

10:25am Wed 12 Mar 14

Gobbag Vooar says...

Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
jimmy k wrote:
so you don't want amateur politicians and you don' want professional ones,so that leaves..............


.....?
Where have i said this jimmy? What i am saying is that these amateurs have been given more power to make decisions which affect peoples lives. Alongside this power should be more opportunities for scrutiny of their actions. Something which they at the moment are reluctant to allow.
Very sensible statement 708.
They should also be accountable to the ombudsman as are District Councils, filming should be welcome, along with public scrutiny.
It is unfortunate that the on going debacle in Keighley casts a shadow over other Parish Councils, hopefully the Gov will see fit to introduce regulation.
Well Said.
[quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: so you don't want amateur politicians and you don' want professional ones,so that leaves.............. .....?[/p][/quote]Where have i said this jimmy? What i am saying is that these amateurs have been given more power to make decisions which affect peoples lives. Alongside this power should be more opportunities for scrutiny of their actions. Something which they at the moment are reluctant to allow.[/p][/quote]Very sensible statement 708. They should also be accountable to the ombudsman as are District Councils, filming should be welcome, along with public scrutiny. It is unfortunate that the on going debacle in Keighley casts a shadow over other Parish Councils, hopefully the Gov will see fit to introduce regulation. Well Said. Gobbag Vooar
  • Score: 1

6:22pm Wed 12 Mar 14

jimmy k says...

as always skinhead you swerve the questions you don't want to answer and bring it back to your own agenda,youd make a good politician(amateur or professional)
as always skinhead you swerve the questions you don't want to answer and bring it back to your own agenda,youd make a good politician(amateur or professional) jimmy k
  • Score: -4

6:53pm Wed 12 Mar 14

jimmy k says...

-6 foe being anti political corruption?thought that would be right up cavetowners street ?maybei'm wrong?
-6 foe being anti political corruption?thought that would be right up cavetowners street ?maybei'm wrong? jimmy k
  • Score: -4

8:40pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

jimmy k wrote:
as always skinhead you swerve the questions you don't want to answer and bring it back to your own agenda,youd make a good politician(amateur or professional)
Thought i had answered the question jimmy. Amateurs with more public scrutiny and accountability. that coupled with a fully professional and competent clerk should be enough to do the job required.
[quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: as always skinhead you swerve the questions you don't want to answer and bring it back to your own agenda,youd make a good politician(amateur or professional)[/p][/quote]Thought i had answered the question jimmy. Amateurs with more public scrutiny and accountability. that coupled with a fully professional and competent clerk should be enough to do the job required. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 0

9:05pm Wed 12 Mar 14

jimmy k says...

cheers,thats all i wanted to know
cheers,thats all i wanted to know jimmy k
  • Score: -4

1:58am Thu 13 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

jimmy k wrote:
cheers,thats all i wanted to know
It would of been easier to just ask jimmy, instead of trying to twist my words to appear to say something which i hadn't.
[quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: cheers,thats all i wanted to know[/p][/quote]It would of been easier to just ask jimmy, instead of trying to twist my words to appear to say something which i hadn't. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 1

6:56pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Little Green Man says...

Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
jimmy k wrote:
cheers,thats all i wanted to know
It would of been easier to just ask jimmy, instead of trying to twist my words to appear to say something which i hadn't.
because of course you would never do that...
[quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: cheers,thats all i wanted to know[/p][/quote]It would of been easier to just ask jimmy, instead of trying to twist my words to appear to say something which i hadn't.[/p][/quote]because of course you would never do that... Little Green Man
  • Score: -2

8:53pm Thu 13 Mar 14

jimmy k says...

i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word.
i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word. jimmy k
  • Score: -2

9:11pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

jimmy k wrote:
i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word.
Where do i say that amateur politiciand shouldn't be given big budgets to spend Jimmy? There you go again twidting my words. It seems you just cant help it can you.
[quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word.[/p][/quote]Where do i say that amateur politiciand shouldn't be given big budgets to spend Jimmy? There you go again twidting my words. It seems you just cant help it can you. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: -2

10:59pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Kingchaser says...

Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
jimmy k wrote: i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word.
Where do i say that amateur politiciand shouldn't be given big budgets to spend Jimmy? There you go again twidting my words. It seems you just cant help it can you.
Sorry Simon,

You said this:

"As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions."

That seems a pretty unequivocal. Wouldn't you say?
[quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word.[/p][/quote]Where do i say that amateur politiciand shouldn't be given big budgets to spend Jimmy? There you go again twidting my words. It seems you just cant help it can you.[/p][/quote]Sorry Simon, You said this: "As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions." That seems a pretty unequivocal. Wouldn't you say? Kingchaser
  • Score: -1

11:38pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

Kingchaser wrote:
Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
jimmy k wrote: i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word.
Where do i say that amateur politiciand shouldn't be given big budgets to spend Jimmy? There you go again twidting my words. It seems you just cant help it can you.
Sorry Simon,

You said this:

"As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions."

That seems a pretty unequivocal. Wouldn't you say?
Doesn't say they shouldn't be given big budgets at all kingchaser and if taken in context with the rest of the post clearly is meant as an observation that parish councils need much more public scrutiny of their decisions given that they now have power to make big budget decisions. That coupled with my comment later regarding a fully competent and professional clerk is unequivocal. Jimmy k's interpretation is simply an attempt to imply a meaning in my words that simply isn't there.
[quote][p][bold]Kingchaser[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmy k[/bold] wrote: i wasn't trying to twist anything,you said on your original post amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets to spend,so then i commented about the professional politicians not exactly being perfect,you replied that you never said you wanted professional politicians,i then asked you for clarification on what then to which you eventually answered.i then thanked you but you had to have a dig back which for you is not unusual i guess you must just like to have the final word.[/p][/quote]Where do i say that amateur politiciand shouldn't be given big budgets to spend Jimmy? There you go again twidting my words. It seems you just cant help it can you.[/p][/quote]Sorry Simon, You said this: "As has been highlighted by the disastrous situation with Keighley Town council plunging the town into millions of pounds of debt by making bad decisions, it is worth remembering that Parish councillors are amatuers who do not always possess the required skills and knowledge to make the right decisions." That seems a pretty unequivocal. Wouldn't you say?[/p][/quote]Doesn't say they shouldn't be given big budgets at all kingchaser and if taken in context with the rest of the post clearly is meant as an observation that parish councils need much more public scrutiny of their decisions given that they now have power to make big budget decisions. That coupled with my comment later regarding a fully competent and professional clerk is unequivocal. Jimmy k's interpretation is simply an attempt to imply a meaning in my words that simply isn't there. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 1

12:33am Fri 14 Mar 14

Kingchaser says...

I disagree Simon. Your comments may have been 'refined' later but you asked where you had said that amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets and you clearly highlight a situation which makes your point. To paraphrase, "Millions wasted by KTC's amateur politians" (in your view).

Making refinements later does not alter the fact that that is what you once wrote.

For what it's worth, I think it is irrelevant whether politicians are amateur or professional. The more power they have, the more open to scrutiny they should be. However, I don't think that filming meetings will make one jot of difference. The 'dodgy' decisions are not made in chamber just like company strategy decisions are not made at board meetings. It's all decided way before it gets to a meeting to be rubber-stamped.
I disagree Simon. Your comments may have been 'refined' later but you asked where you had said that amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets and you clearly highlight a situation which makes your point. To paraphrase, "Millions wasted by KTC's amateur politians" (in your view). Making refinements later does not alter the fact that that is what you once wrote. For what it's worth, I think it is irrelevant whether politicians are amateur or professional. The more power they have, the more open to scrutiny they should be. However, I don't think that filming meetings will make one jot of difference. The 'dodgy' decisions are not made in chamber just like company strategy decisions are not made at board meetings. It's all decided way before it gets to a meeting to be rubber-stamped. Kingchaser
  • Score: -2

12:43am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

Kingchaser wrote:
I disagree Simon. Your comments may have been 'refined' later but you asked where you had said that amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets and you clearly highlight a situation which makes your point. To paraphrase, "Millions wasted by KTC's amateur politians" (in your view).

Making refinements later does not alter the fact that that is what you once wrote.

For what it's worth, I think it is irrelevant whether politicians are amateur or professional. The more power they have, the more open to scrutiny they should be. However, I don't think that filming meetings will make one jot of difference. The 'dodgy' decisions are not made in chamber just like company strategy decisions are not made at board meetings. It's all decided way before it gets to a meeting to be rubber-stamped.
You may disagree kingchaser but that doesn't alter the fact that at no point did i say that amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets. The fact is that under the Localism Act they have been. My point, as it always has been is that along with this should be more transparency and more accountabilty at this level of government. While you may well be right that filming meetings won't make a difference, one this is certain, without the right to film it certainly won't make a difference.
[quote][p][bold]Kingchaser[/bold] wrote: I disagree Simon. Your comments may have been 'refined' later but you asked where you had said that amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets and you clearly highlight a situation which makes your point. To paraphrase, "Millions wasted by KTC's amateur politians" (in your view). Making refinements later does not alter the fact that that is what you once wrote. For what it's worth, I think it is irrelevant whether politicians are amateur or professional. The more power they have, the more open to scrutiny they should be. However, I don't think that filming meetings will make one jot of difference. The 'dodgy' decisions are not made in chamber just like company strategy decisions are not made at board meetings. It's all decided way before it gets to a meeting to be rubber-stamped.[/p][/quote]You may disagree kingchaser but that doesn't alter the fact that at no point did i say that amateur politicians shouldn't be given big budgets. The fact is that under the Localism Act they have been. My point, as it always has been is that along with this should be more transparency and more accountabilty at this level of government. While you may well be right that filming meetings won't make a difference, one this is certain, without the right to film it certainly won't make a difference. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 0

1:40am Fri 14 Mar 14

Kingchaser says...

Hmmm. But the counter-argument is that your focus on filming allows the councils, perhaps, to make a show of being really reluctant to allow filming and then cede saying that they've given you what you want whilst all the other potential malpractices potentially continue.
Hmmm. But the counter-argument is that your focus on filming allows the councils, perhaps, to make a show of being really reluctant to allow filming and then cede saying that they've given you what you want whilst all the other potential malpractices potentially continue. Kingchaser
  • Score: -2

2:06am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

The decision to allow filming was tKen by Eric Pickles, when parishoners attempted to exercise this right it was the council who chose to ignore the secretary of states instructions. This then led to the alterations to the law to make it a legal right. You could therefore argue that it was the councils who chose to make this a bigger issue than what it was in an attempt to divert attention away from other issues.
The decision to allow filming was tKen by Eric Pickles, when parishoners attempted to exercise this right it was the council who chose to ignore the secretary of states instructions. This then led to the alterations to the law to make it a legal right. You could therefore argue that it was the councils who chose to make this a bigger issue than what it was in an attempt to divert attention away from other issues. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 1

8:17am Fri 14 Mar 14

OUT WITH CAVETOWN says...

Doublespeak , a language often used by Cavetowners and failed Councillors ,
Doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth .

An example of Doublespeak is when No4Skin berates posters who use pseudonym's but his own mother for months used a pseudonym posting on the KN and many other publications .

They say one thing mean another and if that's found wanting will change again ,akin to Chameleon's changing colour .
Doublespeak , a language often used by Cavetowners and failed Councillors , Doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth . An example of Doublespeak is when No4Skin berates posters who use pseudonym's but his own mother for months used a pseudonym posting on the KN and many other publications . They say one thing mean another and if that's found wanting will change again ,akin to Chameleon's changing colour . OUT WITH CAVETOWN
  • Score: -3

8:38am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

OUT WITH CAVETOWN wrote:
Doublespeak , a language often used by Cavetowners and failed Councillors ,
Doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth .

An example of Doublespeak is when No4Skin berates posters who use pseudonym's but his own mother for months used a pseudonym posting on the KN and many other publications .

They say one thing mean another and if that's found wanting will change again ,akin to Chameleon's changing colour .
Your example isn't really a relevant comment regarding the term doublespeak is it OWC.
You seem to be getting mixed up again.
Perhaps a better example can be found in the Keighley News from the 5th Dec 2013-

Chairman of the council’s allotments and landscapes committee, Councillor Brian Morris, said the 4.143-acre area at Hog Holes in Woodhouse was at one point advertised for sale, but claims this was done without council consent.

He alleges property agent, Grant Doyle, a previous tenant of the town council-run civic centre, was responsible for the unauthorised advertising.

However, Mr Doyle, formerly of the firm Property 28, which has been rebranded Keighley Property Group, described the allegation as “preposterous”.

He said he was told by Coun Morris to put the land on the market to see if it generated any interest. “I’m not going to be made a scapegoat because of the council’s failure to do due diligence,” he added.

Brian Morris lying to council and the public regarding the Land at Hog Holes and initially claiming it never was for sale is a much more suitable example don't you think OWC?
[quote][p][bold]OUT WITH CAVETOWN[/bold] wrote: Doublespeak , a language often used by Cavetowners and failed Councillors , Doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth . An example of Doublespeak is when No4Skin berates posters who use pseudonym's but his own mother for months used a pseudonym posting on the KN and many other publications . They say one thing mean another and if that's found wanting will change again ,akin to Chameleon's changing colour .[/p][/quote]Your example isn't really a relevant comment regarding the term doublespeak is it OWC. You seem to be getting mixed up again. Perhaps a better example can be found in the Keighley News from the 5th Dec 2013- Chairman of the council’s allotments and landscapes committee, Councillor Brian Morris, said the 4.143-acre area at Hog Holes in Woodhouse was at one point advertised for sale, but claims this was done without council consent. He alleges property agent, Grant Doyle, a previous tenant of the town council-run civic centre, was responsible for the unauthorised advertising. However, Mr Doyle, formerly of the firm Property 28, which has been rebranded Keighley Property Group, described the allegation as “preposterous”. He said he was told by Coun Morris to put the land on the market to see if it generated any interest. “I’m not going to be made a scapegoat because of the council’s failure to do due diligence,” he added. Brian Morris lying to council and the public regarding the Land at Hog Holes and initially claiming it never was for sale is a much more suitable example don't you think OWC? Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 3

8:49am Fri 14 Mar 14

OUT WITH CAVETOWN says...

Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
OUT WITH CAVETOWN wrote:
Doublespeak , a language often used by Cavetowners and failed Councillors ,
Doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth .

An example of Doublespeak is when No4Skin berates posters who use pseudonym's but his own mother for months used a pseudonym posting on the KN and many other publications .

They say one thing mean another and if that's found wanting will change again ,akin to Chameleon's changing colour .
Your example isn't really a relevant comment regarding the term doublespeak is it OWC.
You seem to be getting mixed up again.
Perhaps a better example can be found in the Keighley News from the 5th Dec 2013-

Chairman of the council’s allotments and landscapes committee, Councillor Brian Morris, said the 4.143-acre area at Hog Holes in Woodhouse was at one point advertised for sale, but claims this was done without council consent.

He alleges property agent, Grant Doyle, a previous tenant of the town council-run civic centre, was responsible for the unauthorised advertising.

However, Mr Doyle, formerly of the firm Property 28, which has been rebranded Keighley Property Group, described the allegation as “preposterous”.

He said he was told by Coun Morris to put the land on the market to see if it generated any interest. “I’m not going to be made a scapegoat because of the council’s failure to do due diligence,” he added.

Brian Morris lying to council and the public regarding the Land at Hog Holes and initially claiming it never was for sale is a much more suitable example don't you think OWC?
Thanks for your example of Doublespeak.
Perhaps you could explain why a Campaign albeit spiteful and vindictive is legal?.in recent days you have congratulated an ex tenant of the Civic Centre of a crime against a Councilor.
[quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OUT WITH CAVETOWN[/bold] wrote: Doublespeak , a language often used by Cavetowners and failed Councillors , Doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth . An example of Doublespeak is when No4Skin berates posters who use pseudonym's but his own mother for months used a pseudonym posting on the KN and many other publications . They say one thing mean another and if that's found wanting will change again ,akin to Chameleon's changing colour .[/p][/quote]Your example isn't really a relevant comment regarding the term doublespeak is it OWC. You seem to be getting mixed up again. Perhaps a better example can be found in the Keighley News from the 5th Dec 2013- Chairman of the council’s allotments and landscapes committee, Councillor Brian Morris, said the 4.143-acre area at Hog Holes in Woodhouse was at one point advertised for sale, but claims this was done without council consent. He alleges property agent, Grant Doyle, a previous tenant of the town council-run civic centre, was responsible for the unauthorised advertising. However, Mr Doyle, formerly of the firm Property 28, which has been rebranded Keighley Property Group, described the allegation as “preposterous”. He said he was told by Coun Morris to put the land on the market to see if it generated any interest. “I’m not going to be made a scapegoat because of the council’s failure to do due diligence,” he added. Brian Morris lying to council and the public regarding the Land at Hog Holes and initially claiming it never was for sale is a much more suitable example don't you think OWC?[/p][/quote]Thanks for your example of Doublespeak. Perhaps you could explain why a Campaign albeit spiteful and vindictive is legal?.in recent days you have congratulated an ex tenant of the Civic Centre of a crime against a Councilor. OUT WITH CAVETOWN
  • Score: -4

9:48am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

OWC writes-
"Thanks for your example of Doublespeak.
Perhaps you could explain why a Campaign albeit spiteful and vindictive is legal?.in recent days you have congratulated an ex tenant of the Civic Centre of a crime against a Councilor."

I will be happy to provide you with an explanation OWC.

The ex tenant was found guilty of using abusive or insulting words against councillor Dicky Mitchell.
While it is unfortunate that the ex tenant who was badly treated by the council has been required to pay a fine for this, it does serve to highlight the double standards which exist at KTC.
The term used by the ex tenant is the same term used by councillor Brian Morris in an email I received from him on the 2nd July 2013.
My requests to Keighley Town council, it's mayor and it's clerk that councillor Morris be reprimanded for the use of this comment were ignored.
Funny then, that councillor Dicky Mitchell chose to press charges against someone using the same terminology.

Brian Morris was then spoken to regarding his comments by the Provincial Grand Secretary of the Province of Yorkshire, West Riding Freemason Society, of which councillor Morris is a Brother.
While been reprimanded Brother Morris expressed feelings of remorse and regret about his abusive and insulting comments to his superiors at the Freemasons.
Funny then, that Brother Morris did not see fit to express the same remorse and regret to me personally about this matter.

Hope this helps you understand why I commend the action taken by the ex tenant by speaking up against the bullying councillor regardless of the consequences.
In doing so he has provided firm evidence that a "one rule for us, one rule for them" ethos exists within Keighley Town Council.
OWC writes- "Thanks for your example of Doublespeak. Perhaps you could explain why a Campaign albeit spiteful and vindictive is legal?.in recent days you have congratulated an ex tenant of the Civic Centre of a crime against a Councilor." I will be happy to provide you with an explanation OWC. The ex tenant was found guilty of using abusive or insulting words against councillor Dicky Mitchell. While it is unfortunate that the ex tenant who was badly treated by the council has been required to pay a fine for this, it does serve to highlight the double standards which exist at KTC. The term used by the ex tenant is the same term used by councillor Brian Morris in an email I received from him on the 2nd July 2013. My requests to Keighley Town council, it's mayor and it's clerk that councillor Morris be reprimanded for the use of this comment were ignored. Funny then, that councillor Dicky Mitchell chose to press charges against someone using the same terminology. Brian Morris was then spoken to regarding his comments by the Provincial Grand Secretary of the Province of Yorkshire, West Riding Freemason Society, of which councillor Morris is a Brother. While been reprimanded Brother Morris expressed feelings of remorse and regret about his abusive and insulting comments to his superiors at the Freemasons. Funny then, that Brother Morris did not see fit to express the same remorse and regret to me personally about this matter. Hope this helps you understand why I commend the action taken by the ex tenant by speaking up against the bullying councillor regardless of the consequences. In doing so he has provided firm evidence that a "one rule for us, one rule for them" ethos exists within Keighley Town Council. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 4

10:10am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

Perhaps you may like another example of Doublespeak OWC
Back in June 2011 we can find the words recorded in the Keighley News-
"The venture is designed to be self-financing, with income provided by the businesses and social groups which will use the building."
In fact OWC the documented evidence available expands even further and contains the proud boasts that the Civic Centre would not cost the Precept Payer one penny.
But with time, comes the truth OWC. Despite originally denying that the Civic Centre was running at massive losses, last year the council was forced to raise the precept by 72.6% to cover the costs of the mounting debts.
However, fast forward to February 2014 and in the pages of the same newspaper we now read-
Speaking at last Thursday’s full meeting of the town council, Coun Corkindale said:“It’s not a business, it’s a civic amenity, and it costs this town 14.9p per week per household.
“It won’t make a lot of money, it might never make money, but I know of at least 1,000 people who say it’s worth every penny.”
So from self financing Business Venture at the start to a civic amenity funded by the parishioner of Keighley in the present day OWC, certainly a case of Doublespeak, in fact, perhaps we need a new word for the language of Keighley Town Council, any suggestions OWC?
I will leave you with this while you ponder it over OWC.
Question- How can you tell when some Keighley Town councillors are lying?
Answer- Their lips are moving.
Perhaps you may like another example of Doublespeak OWC Back in June 2011 we can find the words recorded in the Keighley News- "The venture is designed to be self-financing, with income provided by the businesses and social groups which will use the building." In fact OWC the documented evidence available expands even further and contains the proud boasts that the Civic Centre would not cost the Precept Payer one penny. But with time, comes the truth OWC. Despite originally denying that the Civic Centre was running at massive losses, last year the council was forced to raise the precept by 72.6% to cover the costs of the mounting debts. However, fast forward to February 2014 and in the pages of the same newspaper we now read- Speaking at last Thursday’s full meeting of the town council, Coun Corkindale said:“It’s not a business, it’s a civic amenity, and it costs this town 14.9p per week per household. “It won’t make a lot of money, it might never make money, but I know of at least 1,000 people who say it’s worth every penny.” So from self financing Business Venture at the start to a civic amenity funded by the parishioner of Keighley in the present day OWC, certainly a case of Doublespeak, in fact, perhaps we need a new word for the language of Keighley Town Council, any suggestions OWC? I will leave you with this while you ponder it over OWC. Question- How can you tell when some Keighley Town councillors are lying? Answer- Their lips are moving. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 3

10:29am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

While you're mentioning quotes taken from social media sites OWC, perhaps you might like to comment on the recent remarks of councillor Tony Wright-
'councillor Tony Wright claims the External Auditors appointed by the Government Audit Commission are performing a witchhunt.
councillor Wright used social media to state-
"More snouts in the trough no doubt just to prove an "I" wasn't dotted or the odd "t" not crossed.
At £60,0000 for this witch-hunt it is the cost of four Aire Do's or sixty horses like the one complained about or the cost of the best possible set of Christmas lights for Keighley Town Centre."

What are your feelings on the professionalism of councillor Wright in these comments OWC?
While I did request that councillor Wright provide some kind of evidence to support his claim that the External Auditors would be performing a witch hunt, he has so far been unable to provide any.
Once again we are witness to wild accusations recorded in the Public Domain by a serving councillor but, when challenged on the accuracy of their comments and requested to provide evidence they fail and as such we are supplied with evidence of how easily lies are formed in the mouths of councillors and how quickly they spill from their lips to bring Keighley Town council into disrepute.
While you're mentioning quotes taken from social media sites OWC, perhaps you might like to comment on the recent remarks of councillor Tony Wright- 'councillor Tony Wright claims the External Auditors appointed by the Government Audit Commission are performing a witchhunt. councillor Wright used social media to state- "More snouts in the trough no doubt just to prove an "I" wasn't dotted or the odd "t" not crossed. At £60,0000 for this witch-hunt it is the cost of four Aire Do's or sixty horses like the one complained about or the cost of the best possible set of Christmas lights for Keighley Town Centre." What are your feelings on the professionalism of councillor Wright in these comments OWC? While I did request that councillor Wright provide some kind of evidence to support his claim that the External Auditors would be performing a witch hunt, he has so far been unable to provide any. Once again we are witness to wild accusations recorded in the Public Domain by a serving councillor but, when challenged on the accuracy of their comments and requested to provide evidence they fail and as such we are supplied with evidence of how easily lies are formed in the mouths of councillors and how quickly they spill from their lips to bring Keighley Town council into disrepute. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 2

10:33am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

Funnily enough for councillor Wright his misplaced comma and extra '0' were placed immediately after his comments about the External Auditors- "More snouts in the trough no doubt just to prove an "I" wasn't dotted or the odd "t" not crossed. "
I would suggest to councillor Wright it is more a concern where the commas and zero's are rather than the crossed 't's and dotted 'i's.

As for Witch Hunt, I would also say he has made a spelling mistake there too.
He might well mean Which Hunt.
Which Councillor?
Which Committee?
Which Invoice?
Which Account?
Funnily enough for councillor Wright his misplaced comma and extra '0' were placed immediately after his comments about the External Auditors- "More snouts in the trough no doubt just to prove an "I" wasn't dotted or the odd "t" not crossed. " I would suggest to councillor Wright it is more a concern where the commas and zero's are rather than the crossed 't's and dotted 'i's. As for Witch Hunt, I would also say he has made a spelling mistake there too. He might well mean Which Hunt. Which Councillor? Which Committee? Which Invoice? Which Account? Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 2

10:35am Fri 14 Mar 14

Always a 708 Skinhead says...

You've gone quiet OWC.
What a pity. Your comments are always so helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the Public on matters regarding KTC.
You've gone quiet OWC. What a pity. Your comments are always so helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the Public on matters regarding KTC. Always a 708 Skinhead
  • Score: 2

12:11pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Little Green Man says...

Last word
Last word Little Green Man
  • Score: -3

12:16pm Fri 14 Mar 14

MarkPullen says...

Little Green Man wrote:
Last word
Or not!
[quote][p][bold]Little Green Man[/bold] wrote: Last word[/p][/quote]Or not! MarkPullen
  • Score: -3

1:17pm Fri 14 Mar 14

OUT WITH CAVETOWN says...

Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
You've gone quiet OWC.
What a pity. Your comments are always so helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the Public on matters regarding KTC.
And likewise your Doublespeak is also very helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the public on matters regarding Cavetown Council and the failed ex Councillor.
[quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: You've gone quiet OWC. What a pity. Your comments are always so helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the Public on matters regarding KTC.[/p][/quote]And likewise your Doublespeak is also very helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the public on matters regarding Cavetown Council and the failed ex Councillor. OUT WITH CAVETOWN
  • Score: -2

1:42pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Gobbag Vooar says...

OUT WITH CAVETOWN wrote:
Always a 708 Skinhead wrote:
You've gone quiet OWC.
What a pity. Your comments are always so helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the Public on matters regarding KTC.
And likewise your Doublespeak is also very helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the public on matters regarding Cavetown Council and the failed ex Councillor.
There is an open opportunity for Town and Parish Councils to adopt a much wider role in providing services to the community. Parks, gardens, services to the old, the infirmed could all be managed by local councils, under the scrutiny of the people that they serve. Unfortunately the debacle at Keighley will have a ripple effect across the whole community, however the audit now in progress pans out.
Responsible councils in this area will suffer because of this, and blaming parishioners is counter productive. You can not blame the public, for their dissatisfaction, or exercising their rights, that is their right.
My attention was drawn yesterday to a social media site where one councillor was making comments, comments he should refrain from during an investigation, and engaging those on site. This does not help, and again is counterproductive, do Keighley's Town Councillor think before they sound off.? Not only their own practice, but the knock on effect to other local councillors in other councils trying to do a worth while job in their respective community.
OWK there, strong suspicions that you are indeed a councillor in Keighley, and your postings are inappropriate, and do not help your cause.
As I have warned you, concentrate on improving your own practise, you and others are letting Keighley down, but like your council, refuse to learn anything.
[quote][p][bold]OUT WITH CAVETOWN[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always a 708 Skinhead[/bold] wrote: You've gone quiet OWC. What a pity. Your comments are always so helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the Public on matters regarding KTC.[/p][/quote]And likewise your Doublespeak is also very helpful in assisting in getting the truth out to the public on matters regarding Cavetown Council and the failed ex Councillor.[/p][/quote]There is an open opportunity for Town and Parish Councils to adopt a much wider role in providing services to the community. Parks, gardens, services to the old, the infirmed could all be managed by local councils, under the scrutiny of the people that they serve. Unfortunately the debacle at Keighley will have a ripple effect across the whole community, however the audit now in progress pans out. Responsible councils in this area will suffer because of this, and blaming parishioners is counter productive. You can not blame the public, for their dissatisfaction, or exercising their rights, that is their right. My attention was drawn yesterday to a social media site where one councillor was making comments, comments he should refrain from during an investigation, and engaging those on site. This does not help, and again is counterproductive, do Keighley's Town Councillor think before they sound off.? Not only their own practice, but the knock on effect to other local councillors in other councils trying to do a worth while job in their respective community. OWK there, strong suspicions that you are indeed a councillor in Keighley, and your postings are inappropriate, and do not help your cause. As I have warned you, concentrate on improving your own practise, you and others are letting Keighley down, but like your council, refuse to learn anything. Gobbag Vooar
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree