A SILSDEN resident who twice served as president of Keighley & District Agricultural Show has died.

Barry Robinson died in Herncliffe Care Home, Keighley, on June 3, aged 81.

He was show president in 1982 and 2007, and his son, Tim, has recently been appointed president of this year's Keighley Show.

Mr Robinson, who previously lived in Silsden, had been involved with the running of the event for more than 35 years.

Tim said: "He was a big family man who kept us all on the right track. He was strong, a leader and a very good father."

He added that his father had been driven, hard working, and committed to the highest of standards in everything he did.

Mr Robinson was born in Aireworth Street, Keighley, in 1933. He joined Keighley and Nixon — a fish, fruit, poultry and game dealers business — as an apprentice, and stayed with the company until 1952.

He was a keen cyclist and was a member of the Clarion Cycling Club in Keighley for many years.

In 1953 he set up his own business in Church Green dealing in fresh fruit, vegetables, fish and poultry and game.

After he married Shirley Dixon in 1957, the couple lived in Fell Lane and went on to have five children: Timothy, Simon, Nicholas, Joanna and Emma.

Mr Robinson branched out into outside catering in the early 1970s. He and his family opened Steeton Hall Hotel & Restaurant in 1985, to provide a permanent base for the functions.

Although he retired in 1991, he continued to help his son Simon at the Harlequin Restaurant.

Mr Robinson was involved with the organisation of Keighley Show from its outset and was president of the show in its 25th year in 1982, and again in 2007 for the 50th show.

He was also a passionate and dedicated fundraiser for Manorlands Hospice, a Mason and a member of Keighley and Sutton Retired Men’s Forum.

Tim added that his father had enjoyed his garden throughout his retirement, and was a member of the Craven District Fushia & Geranium Society.

The funeral service was due to take place yesterday morning, (June 11) at St Andrew's Church, Kildwick, followed by cremation at Skipton Crematorium.