Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting KNEWS to 80360, or email
Flats evacuated during takeaway blaze
12:36pm Friday 10th August 2012 in Keighley
Flats in Keighley town centre had to be evacuated due to a fire at a takeaway restaurant.
Staff at Raja’s Pizza Bar, at the bottom of Cavendish Street, also fled the building after a grill burst into flames.
Firefighters, who were called at about 9.30pm last Thursday, spent four hours fighting the blaze in the kitchen of the takeaway.
They had to cut away floorboards in the flats above to ensure the fire had not spread.
The flats and others in an adjacent block filled with smoke as the fire burned behind a ventilation canopy.
Watch commander Lee Miller, from Keighley Fire Station, said the blaze was tackled by four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
He said the cause of the fire was believed to be a build-up of fat, oil and grease behind the ventilation canopy.
WC Miller said: “The takeaway was quite badly damaged due to the effects of heat and smoke in the building.
“The fire had been going for quite a while before the staff realised. They all got out OK.
“When we got there, there was quite a serious fire above the suspended ceiling.”