Reilly spot on to seal Steeton win

Keighley News: ON THE BALL: Steeton’s Andy King finds himself in the thick of things Buy this photo » ON THE BALL: Steeton’s Andy King finds himself in the thick of things

Steeton 4 Halifax Irish 3

There was late drama at Summerhill Lane as Halifax Irish snatched an injury-time equaliser, only for Steeton’s Lee Reilly to score a penalty at the other end to clinch a last-gasp West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division victory.

With Matty Kershaw and Sam Rooke both serving a one-game suspension, Martin Bland came in for his first-team debut and Peter Hanson returned to the starting XI. Michael Rhodes’ surprise omission from the league representative squad saw him also included.

The home side, wearing an unfamiliar red kit, were sharp out of the blocks as Andy King struck an early effort just wide.

Adam Spencer and Danny McNulty shot over before Andy Holden was denied by the keeper after good link-up play from Spencer.

Steeton took the lead just before the half-hour mark when Lee Reilly latched on to Holden’s through ball and lobbed advancing keeper Townsend with aplomb. Irish rallied when Callum Cook fired straight at Phil Rishton when he really should have levelled things up.

This should have sounded a warning to Steeton but they didn’t heed it as a mix-up allowed Max Crossley to steal in and make it 1-1 with only five minutes of the half left.

Spencer headed McNulty’s cross wide as Steeton looked to restore their lead before the break.

But they could have been behind were it not for Bland’s timely interception as Gareth Jones looked a sure scorer.

The second half saw Steeton looking livelier. Spencer had a shot well saved before he linked up well with Holden, who stroked home to make it 2-1.

King then struck a long-range effort just over after good work from Jack Ogalbe. However, the lead didn’t last long as the hosts failed to deal with a ball over the top and Jones flicked the ball over Rishton with a cool finish.

Damien Whiteoak crossed for Reilly, whose header was blocked when a goal looked likely.

The Chevrons regained the lead fortuitously as Hird looked to thread Reilly in but a defender’s outstretched boot turned the ball past his own keeper.

Surely this would be enough but, in the 91st minute, the hosts didn’t deal with a short corner and Callum Cook looked to have salvaged a point for the visitors. But straight from the kick-off Steeton went on the attack and Reilly was needlessly bundled over in the box. He dusted himself down to confidently smash home and claim the points.

Boss Roy Mason said: “It was good to get all three points when, by our own admission, we were not at our best.

“But we stuck at the task and ultimately got the reward as, on the balance of play, I felt we did shade the game.

“It’s good to go into this week’s county cup game with Beeston St Anthony’s with a couple of wins under our belt.

“It would be nice to see a few locals make the trip over as the players really do appreciate their support.”


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree