Oxenhope Rec Reserves 0 Steeton Reserves 0 (aet, Steeton won 4-3 on penalties)

Steeton Reserves reclaimed the Supplementary Cup from rivals Oxenhope after holding their nerve in a penalty shoot-out.

The holders were left distraught at the end of this goalless final after feeling they had more or less dominated from start to finish.

Keeper Nick Hudson was rarely troubled as Steeton stuck to their game plan of defending deep, frustrating the opposition and hitting them on the break.

It paid off for the Chevrons, who got their hands back on the trophy – which they last won in 2012 – after this third successive final between the sides.

Oxenhope carried the early threat as Craig Morris headed wide from a Will Lee free-kick and Liam Dyson hit the side-netting following a break by Leon Smith.

Steeton’s back line held firm, led by the experienced Martin Bland, and repelled numerous other attacks. Left back Gaz Ritson burst down the flank and played in Morris, whose fierce drive was blocked by keeper Paul Linyard.

For ten minutes after the break Steeton did threaten but the central defensive pairing of Steve Davies and Liam Blacka dealt comfortably with all they had to offer. After that it was Oxenhope who looked the more dangerous, with Morris and Leroy Hickman a constant threat.

The former drove into the box, riding three tackles, but again Linyard blocked his shot and Smith’s follow-up was cleared.

A Will Lee long shot was cleared and a venomous strike from Hickman beat the keeper but was hacked off the line.

As the game went into extra-time, Ritson, replacing Hickman up front, had two good runs and strikes on goal but again Linyard was in the right position to save.

The stalemate continued and so to penalties. Blacka and Lee both found the net for Oxenhope, cancelled out by strikes from Ross Bailey and Mark McGee.

Danny Fazackerley then struck his shot against the bar and Steeton’s Josh Ferguson gave them the advantage. Ritson made no mistake with his spot-kick before Hudson saved from the Chevrons’ George Sellars to square the contest.

However, Davies skied his strike and Jack Richmond converted to hand Steeton the victory.

Oxenhope Res: Hudson, Wellard, Ritson, Davies, Blacka, Wells, Lee, Dyson (D Fazackerley), Morris, Smith (Newman), Hickman (Thompson). Unused subs: C Fazackerley, Bilney.

Steeton Res: Linyard, Mason, Ferguson, Ogalbe, Bland, Meegan, Bailey, Richmond, Chapman, Sellars, McGee. Subs: Morgan, Devlin, Mortimer, Cope, Butterfield.