STEETON II lost an exciting, high-scoring Birtwhistle Cup semi-final by 13 runs at home to Rawdon II.

The well-supported visitors, whose innings was given impetus by No 5 Rob Elliott’s quickfire 104 not out, made 267 in their 45 overs, in-form opener Duncan Stow weighing in with 94 in 33 overs as they recovered from 74-3 after 19 overs.

Stow’s finesse combined well with Elliott’s power as they doubled the score before the former cut hard but straight to cover. Cup debutant Sam Baxter then rubbed salt in the wound, the 14-year-old hitting a six over cover.

After a better-than-average tea, Steeton’s innings revived in similar fashion after being 80-4 at the start of the 22nd over, John Hughes’ five overs only costing five runs and spinner James Doidge claiming two victims in his nine overs after opening the bowling.

Needing almost six an over from the outset, Julian Higginson then played a captain’s knock with an unbeaten 87, and added partnerships of 69 with Hayden Tennant (31) and 83 with Gary Boulton (49), who had earlier taken four wickets.

However, Tennant fell to a sharp yorker by young George Powell and Boulton went to an outstanding catch at long-off by Jake Walker.

This left Higginson with too much to do and gracious losers Steeton went down by 13 runs, despite Rawdon missing three key bowlers.

Guiseley won the other semi-final, making 145-9 at Otley before dismissing the hosts for 116.

The final is at Bardsey on Sunday, August 17.

Meanwhile, in the Waddilove Cup, Otley’s dreams of lifting the cup for a record 11th time remain on track after they booked a place in the final by beating Guiseley by 44 runs. Most of the credit goes to David Hester, who hit ten fours and three sixes in an unbeaten 99 and helped Otley go from 77-6 to 214-9.

Guiseley could only reach 170-7 and now Otley, who haven’t won the trophy since 1988, will face Collingham in the final on August 10.

Collingham were given a fright by Second Division Adel, who bowled them out for 124, reduced to a target of 108 after a rain break.

After 49 from opener Ben Quirk, they needed just 24 off six overs with five wickets left, but two quick wickets turned the tide.

As they went into the final over, they needed 11 to win but Toby Jacklin removed the final man to clinch the win.