No home comforts again in cup for Silsden

No home comforts again in cup for Silsden

It proved a very busy afternoon for Silsden keeper Phil Rishton

Silsden's Zack Dale finds a way throughConsett's defence

Dale Feather battles for the ball for Silsden

Silsden's Nick McNally loses out to a brave challenge

First published in Sport
Last updated

Silsden AFC 0

Consett 2

SILSDEN'S wait for a home triumph in the FA Cup goes on.

The Cobbydalers haven't won at the Angel Telecom Stadium since 2009-10 when they defeated Colne 3-1 in a derby, and this year was the SEVENTH straight season when they have been drawn at home in the extra preliminary round, their last away tie being the 4-3 victory at Ryton on Saturday, August 18, 2007.

Northern League Consett were always going to be tough nuts to crack, however, with strikers Michael Mackay and Luke Sullivan each notching 45 goals last season and 99 between them in 2012-13.

Andy Geary left out ball player Andy Hill for Joe Jalil in a bid to strengthen the defence but the Cobbydalers missed someone putting their foot on the ball.

In contrast, the visitors were patient and there was always someone to receive the ball, Calvin Smith's sublime touch in midfield creating time and space.

The Steelmen started with a very strong wind at their back and Phil Rishton had to make a string of fine saves in the home goal, tipping over a Smith shot and a header from centre half Carl Piecha.

However, Silsden had a golden opportunity to notch the opener when Jalil put Nicky McNally in the clear, the Silsden striker dragging his volley wide.

Rishton then saved a snap-shot from Smith but could do nothing about Sullivan's close-range header in the 17th minute after he had drifted behind Danny Fagan.

Silsden were then nearly caught out by a swift counter-attack which ended with Rishton finger-tipping another Sullivan shot over.

Going in only 1-0 down, the Cobbydalers were still in the game but the wind dropped, and four minutes into the second half Mackay curled the ball home, with Rishton unsighted, and he prevented a third with a superb save at the feet of Mackay.

Hill came on for Jalil, and immediately Silsden began to keep possession but without looking dangerous in the final third.

However, on 70 minutes, Silsden had a golden chance. Hill's inswinging corner bounced in the area but Kevin Ryan couldn't keep his header down.

Silsden had run out of ideas and Consett eased their way through, although there were one or two late challenges near the end and five players were booked, belying the good spirit in which the game was played in what was a good learning experience for Silsden's youngsters.

The Cobbydalers were at Bacup last night and are at leaders Glossop on Saturday.

SILSDEN AFC: Rishton, Moses, Crabtree, Geary Fagan, Ryan, Jalil (Hill 55),Mitchell, Feather Dale (Henderson 77), McNally (Nicholls 64). Subs (not used): Thorpe, Brown.

CONSETT: Elliot, Pearson, Brown, Chapim, Piecha, Madden, Nicholls (Wright 70), Smith, Sullivan (Gover-Lokonba 77), Mackay, Eccles (Bowey 78). Subs (not used): Martindale, Galloway, Regan.

Referee: Mr S Sarsfield. Assistants: Mr J Dilnutt, Mr P Bell.


Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree