Hallmark Security League Division One: Silsden 0 Litherland REMYCA 1

SILSDEN were hoping to improve on the previous week’s defeat to City of Liverpool but a goal after 15 minutes from Lennon Whewell was enough to give the spoils to the leaders.

The Cobbydalers, in a run of four games against the top four, faced a strong wind in the first half but started positively.

However, the visitors began to exploit a home defence which lacked protection by the midfield. Colin McDonald broke through for Litherland to bring a save from Callum Jakovlevs.

The visitors took the lead when Whewell drifted through a sluggish defence to slide the ball home. Litherland were cruising and opened up the Cobbydalers defence twice more with some slick passing. Connor Wright drove a low free-kick across the Silsden box but there were no takers.

The Cobbydalers finally rose from their slumber after 30 minutes but a passing move broke down with Josh Eastwood offside.

The closest the Yorkshiremen came to scoring was when Chris Wademan chased a through ball but Stephen King just managed to nick the ball away.

The visitors used the wind well and only a great interception by Dan Illingworth denied the visitors another chance. A brilliant save by Jakovlevs from a Whewell shot kept Silsden in the game before flicked away an in-swinging corner.

The wind favoured Silsden in the second half but the Reds still lacked urgency. Litherland had two banks of four behind the ball to frustrate the Cobbydalers.

However, they did create enough chances to have won the game. A superb low cross from Danny Bunch on the right eluded both Eastwood and Will Storrie.

Eastwood then broke through three times, running onto through balls. His first effort was blocked by Jake Connor, then Sean Lake fumbled the second before finally gathering, and Eastwood missed the target with a low shot a minute later.

Josh Kaine burst forward into the box after an interception to find himself in the clear but he blasted high and wide.

Illingworth was a rock at the back and a danger with long throw-ins and in the box. Two headers from him caused mayhem and Jake Connor twice cleared off the line. Illingworth netted from a corner but he was pulled up for an infringement.

There were few forays up field by the visitors but they held on to their lead through strong defence.

Boss Danny Forrest and assistant Matt McNeil were disappointed. Forrest said: “We were sluggish in both halves and after the progress we have made, we took our foot off the gas.

"We were too open in the first half and then not clinical enough in the second.”

McNeil highlighted the need to make quick decisions and support the man on the ball.

“Players need to take more responsibility," he said.

The Cobbydalers travel to Charnock Richard tomorrow and then Whitchurch Alport on Saturday. SILSDEN: Jakovlevs, Moses, Vincent, Kaine, Illingworth, Trueman (Davis 83), Storrie (Cox 83), Eastwood (McNally 70), Bunch, Wademan, Hancock.