Hallmark Security League Division One: New Mills 2 Silsden 4

THREE goals in the opening 23 minutes killed off any hopes New Mills had of becoming the first team to end Silsden's perfect start.

The Cobbydalers’ run of 14 straight league wins before Saturday's clash has made them a scalp which the rest of the league want to claim.

It gave AFC Blackpool an extra lift in their League Cup win over Danny Forrest's side last midweek but Silsden's proud record in Division One remains intact as they made it 15 out of 15.

Hosts New Mills were relegated from the top flight last season after spending numerous years in the Evo-Stik League.

Niall Sultan went close twice in the opening exchanges before Chris Wademan hit a through ball for Joe Gaughan. Dean Williams was swiftly off his line to block his effort but Kyle Hancock followed up to open the scoring on eight minutes.

Silsden had been strengthened by the return of Mark Trueman and Craig Bentham, with Dan Illingworth only worthy of a place on the bench.

Fine defending by Josh Kaine denied the Millers but the home defence were playing a high line. Gaughan was offside several times but a deft pass from Arley Barnes caught the back line out. Gaughan pushed the ball to Sultan, who slid it home on 17 minutes.

Sultan went close again before Barnes passed the ball down the right for Sultan to cross into the box and Gaughan headed home to make it 3-0.

The leading scorer was thwarted twice more by Williams before the Millers pulled one back just after the half-hour mark. Left-back Robert Lofthouse weaved his way to the edge of the area to chip the ball to the far post. Keeper Callum Jakovlevs was too far off his line and the ball sailed over his head into the net.

Michael Jones wasted a good opportunity to pull another goal back when Jack Beswick’s cross was only partially cleared.

The sodden pitch became heavier after the break and the ball didn’t run truly. The Millers, with some tall players, tried to use this to their advantage but Bentham was a tower at the back. Both keepers were lucky not to concede another goal, with Jakovlevs flicking a header onto his bar.

Gaughan missed a good chance to settle the nerves, failing to convert Sultan’s cross, and Kaine's header from a corner was flicked on to the bar by Williams.

Silsden’s defence was breached again on 60 minutes as Gaskin netted after a goalmouth scramble to make it 3-2. Illingworth came on for Barnes to bolster the defence, Bentham moving into a defensive midfield role. There were chances at both ends before Bentham sealed the victory at the death when he followed up Nicky McNally’s effort.

Forrest was naturally pleased to win but had already turned his mind to Saturday's visit of Daisy Hill.

He said: “It was another tough game here but now I’m focusing on Daisy Hill. The next game is always the priority."

The Cobbydalers also travel to second-placed Prestwich Heys, currently eight points behind, next Tuesday.

SILSDEN: Jakovlevs, Moses, Everingham, Kaine, Bentham, Trueman, Barnes (Illingworth 71), Hancock, Wademan, Gaughan(McNally 88), Sultan (Rhodes 79).