West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division: Lepton Highlanders 2 Steeton 2

STEETON were left frustrated as, despite having the lion’s share of the play, they couldn’t turn their superior possession statistics into goals.

The visitors, who named the same side that beat Cross Hills so convincingly the previous week, got off to the ideal start when Jonah Smith slipped in Tom Sowerbutts and he coolly put Steeton ahead within the first 50 seconds.

The Chevrons were moving the ball well at this stage, with Rory Judd playing the ball out of the back nicely and full backs Joe Mason and Elliot Scott looking to get forward.

Andy Briggs had a snap shot which went wide after a flick from Ben Clarkson. However, Steeton gave the ball away cheaply and allowed Lepton in around the back to level the score.

This should have acted as a spur for the visitors to put their foot on the gas but it had the opposite effect. Lepton broke and, with the Steeton back four out of position, added a second.

Steve Pearson headed wide after a great ball in from Scott and Tim Hird fired over from the edge of the box.

Joe Mash then made a superb save, tipping a Lepton shot from range on to the bar.

Steeton again went close when Andy Holden’s cross just eluded everyone and Hird did well to retrieve the situation before Clarkson fired over from the edge of the box.

The youngster did level things up, though. He brought a ball down with a great touch before coolly slipping the ball into the bottom corner.

The second half saw Steeton playing with the wind behind them. Long balls over the top were not the answer as invariably they ran straight through to the keeper.

The first change for the visitors was ten minutes into the second period as Mason suffered a head injury and was replaced by Michael Rhodes. His experience saw Steeton try and get their foot on the ball but too many times in the last third they gave the ball away cheaply or made the wrong decision.

Holden tried his luck with a long range effort before Joe Park and Joe Flaherty were introduced as the visitors tried desperately to find the breakthrough.

With the clock ticking, Park crossed for Holden who agonisingly headed wide in what was probably their best chance of the half.

Boss Roy Mason said: "It was a frustrating day all round as we didn't play as well as we could. A swirling wind made conditions difficult, but there were certain times we didn't help ourselves and in truth we didn't work their keeper in the second half anywhere near as much as we could have."

Steeton: Mash, Mason (Rhodes), Scott, Judd (Flaherty) Pearson, Hird, Holden, J Smith (Park), Clarkson, Briggs, Sowerbutts