ECCLESHILL United became the first side to beat runaway front-runners Knaresborough Town in Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One after a 5-2 win at the Mitton Group Stadium.

The Eagles turned the game with an inspired second-half display after coming from a two-goal deficit to be all-square at the interval.

A Chris Lever hat-trick made the difference in a win that lifted the Eagles to third.

Delighted Eagles boss Sean Regan said: “It is a massive win, and after being 2-0 down it just shows what unbelievable character we have here in this squad of players.

“It could have been a bigger victory really and it came against a side that had conceded only seven goals in 17 league games.

"We had three regular players missing but the three lads that came in did a great job, and that proves what confidence there is at the minute.

“It puts us up to third and we’ve now taken 33 points from the last 36. I think that’s a record for Eccleshill.

"I hope Knaresborough didn’t underestimate us because we’ve got skill, creativity and strength, both mentally and physically."

Goals from Will Lenehan and Brad Walker either side of the half-hour looked to have set the visitors on the way to another win, but a Lever brace pegged them back late in the first half.

Andy Cooper put the Eagles in front for the first time 12 minutes after the break, and Lever claimed his treble a minute later. Antony Brown wrapped up the scoring in the 68th minute.

Campion’s trip to Grimsby Borough in the same division was postponed.

Silsden’s eight-point cushion at the top of Hallmark Security League Division One is intact after the Cobbydalers eased to a 4-2 victory at mid-table New Mills that maintained their 100 per cent league start.

Danny Forrest’s men were 3-0 up inside 23 minutes with goals from Kyle Hancock, Niall Sultan and Joe Gaughan.

The Millers’ Bobby Lofthouse cut the arrears before the break, and Warren Gaskin netted on the hour, but the visitors held their nerve and Craig Bentham put the result beyond doubt in stoppage time.

Meanwhile, at Dennyfield, Thackley earned a point from a 2-2 home draw against Athersley Recreation.

The Rec broke the deadlock through Adam Muller in the tenth minute but a Jordan Hendrie strike just after the half hour saw the sides level at the break.

The Dennyboys went in front through Kris Hargreaves but the Rec’s McCauley Shillito netted the equaliser.

Albion Sports were left ruing decisions that went against them as they lost 3-2 at Handsworth Parramore.

The Lions lost to a last-minute strike from Jason Yates after Albion’s Danny Facey and the home side’s Jonathan Froggatt had each bagged a brace with goals in each half.

It was a worse day for Liversedge as they suffered 5-1 drubbing at Hemsworth Miners' Welfare, with the contest over by the interval as the home side were 4-0 to the good.

Richard Collier bagged a brace, while Bradley Dockerty and Adam Wilson were also on target.

An Adam Hayton strike saw the home side go nap before Jake Thompson pegged one back.