West Riding County FA Challenge Cup Round Two: Knaresborough Town Reserves 1 Steeton 4

STEETON made impressive progress and should have been ahead within the first minute when a mistake saw Andy Briggs through on goal, but his heavy touch saw the keeper gather the ball.

The Chevrons also had a good shout for a penalty waved away but took the lead on 11 minutes when Andy Holden's free-kick was parried and Ben Clarkson followed in to score.

At the other end keeper Joe Mash kicked a back-pass straight into the path of an oncoming forward but redeemed himself by diving bravely at his feet to deny an equaliser.

Town had a good opportunity to level but a shot sailed over the bar. Five minutes later Steeton were awarded a penalty following a foul on Jonah Smith.

Michael Rhodes, who was making his 175th appearance for Steeton, stepped up and, although the keeper guessed the right way, he could not prevent him from making it 2-0.

Before the break Knaresborough's number five was shown a yellow card for an aggressive tackle outside the area. Andy Holden flighted over a delightful cross and Sam Rooke rose highest to nod home and provide a 3-0 half-time lead.

The second period saw the Chevrons facing the sun and were immediately under pressure following a corner which was tipped over by Mash.

Knaresborough pulled a goal back when Steve Pearson handled just outside the area after being unsighted by the sun. Lewis Pye's free-kick sailed into the top corner and Town were back in with a shout.

Mash had to spread himself well to block another attempt and was again on hand with an amazing save following a free-kick from the wing.

Steeton couldn't get out of their own half, and the keeper made another good block with 25 minutes gone.

With Town surging forward, Rory Judd came on for Sam Rooke and Joe Flaherty replaced Andy Briggs to try and stem the tide.

With five minutes remaining Joe Park replaced Ben Richardson and his sublime ball found Clarkson, who finished with aplomb to wrap things up.

Mash, Scott and Pearson were rocks at the heart of the defence, while Richardson and Tim Hird worked tirelessly in the middle of the park.

Assistant manager Adam Smith, who was in charge with Adam Longden in the absence of boss Roy Mason, said: “I was delighted, especially with the first half performance where we caused them problems from the first minute.

“The second half was more difficult after Knaresborough changed their system but after the first shaky 15/20 minutes, where we constantly give free-kicks away in dangerous areas, in the end we were worthy winners.

“Going to a top West Yorkshire League Premier side and coming away with a comfortable 4-1 win is very pleasing.”

Steeton's opponents in the next round on December 2 will be Boroughbridge, who knocked the Chevrons out in the semi-final of last year’s competition.

Steeton: Mash, Rhodes, Scott, Rooke (Judd), Pearson, Hird, Holden,J. Smith, Clarkson, Briggs (Flaherty), Richardson (Park).

*Steeton Reserves lost 2-1 at Beeston St Anthony's Yorkshire Amateur League side in the County Challenge Trophy.

The home side were 2-0 up at half-time and despite a concerted effort to find an equaliser, after Mark McGee had pulled a goal back ten minutes from time, the hosts progressed.