West Riding County FA Challenge Cup third round: Steeton 2 Boroughbridge 1

STRIKER Andy Briggs marked his 50th first team appearance with two first-half goals which saw Steeton gain revenge against the team who knocked them out in last season's semi-finals.

Boroughbridge pulled a goal back in the second half but the Chevrons did enough to book themselves a spot in the fourth round where they will host County Amateur rivals and current table-toppers Salts on January 6.

The game was only three minutes old when Michael Rhodes drilled a free-kick into the Boroughbridge box and when the ball fell to Briggs, he made no mistake from 18 yards.

Rhodes and centre back partner Sam Rooke had the defence well marshalled, Elliott Scott was his usual reliable self on the left and Rory Judd pressed forward superbly down the right, combining well with Andy Holden to be a constant threat.

Throughout the first half goalkeeper Joe Mash was a virtual spectator as Boroughbridge, despite some neat build-up play, were unable to penetrate.

On the half-hour Steeton felt that Ben Richardson had done enough to double the lead when he chested Holden's corner into the net but the referee ruled the player had handled the ball.

Five minutes later Briggs almost scored a second after Holden crossed from the right but his header skimmed the top of the bar.

On the stroke of half-time Steeton won a corner on the left. Richardson pushed the ball short to Jonah Smith, who turned unchallenged and set up Briggs to double his tally from close range.

Boroughbridge played much better in the second half and pulled a goal back after 63 minutes when Toby Hardacre scored on the counter-attack, protests for offside falling on deaf ears.

The visitors pressed hard for a leveller, some strong encounters in midfield bringing the best out of the tough-tackling Tim Hird, who thwarted many an attack.

When they did find a way through, Boroughbridge found Mash in top form as the keeper made three fine saves.

As they pushed forward, the visitors inevitably left gaps at the back as Briggs and Ben Clarkson went close to increasing Steeton's lead.

Boss Roy Mason brought on Steve Pearson for Richardson and this had the required steadying effect. With 12 minutes remaining, Toby Jeffrey replaced Judd and, in the gathering gloom, the substitute was unlucky to see a cross shot from distance strike the bar.

Mason said: "We were good value for the win and it was nice to get a bit of revenge following our defeat to them in the semi-final last season.

"Our first-half performance warranted more than it yielded and as a consequence we then had to suffer a nervy last 15 minutes but, again, our game management was good and we saw the game out well."

Steeton: Mash, Judd (Jeffrey), Scott, Rhodes, Rooke, Hird, Holden, Smith, Clarkson, Briggs, Richardson (Pearson).

*Steeton reserves drew 4-4 at TVR United in West Riding County Amateur League Division One. Goals from Will Knight (2), Andy Howland and Jack Richmond ensured honours were even.