Keighley 16 Bank Top Harriers 14

Keighley edged into the second round after their least convincing display in several weeks, although credit should be given to a spirited performance from the visitors.

The hosts started well and scored their first try after only two minutes through winger Alex Young in the left corner.

However, Bank Top – who play in a division below Keighley – replied after 13 minutes when winger Dan Oldfield crossed to level the scores.

They then took the lead for the first time through their other winger, Mike Hustler.

The home side hit back to regain the advantage before the break with a good try from second rower Matthew Mount.

Breaking clear around halfway, he beat the full back on his way to the line, leaving a simple conversion for Jamie Donnelly, which put the home side two points clear at the turnaround.

Ten minutes into the second period, a good break from Donnelly sent Daz McNulty clear to the posts and Donnelly’s goal put Keighley eight points clear.

Bank Top were still not finished though and scored a try through prop James Rhodes, which was improved by stand-off Adam Mitchell, as Keighley were left hanging on for the final ten minutes.

The hosts are at home again on Saturday at Crossflatts to table-toppers Halifax Irish in the Pennine League Championship Division (2pm).

Andrew Bennett Memorial Trophy Queens A 22 Keighley A 4 Keighley A travelled to Leeds to play unbeaten Queens A and started well but were unable to break down a well-organised defence.

With man of the match Danny Lunn showing the way, the visitors kept the hosts out until the last ten minutes of the first half.

Then Queens took a 6-0 lead after a good kick through beat the Keighley defence. The away side almost levelled after a break by Chris Gott set up a chance for Chris Spencer to put Ian Spencer through but the chance went begging. Queens made them pay by scoring again to make it 12-0 at half-time.

Keighley pulled a try back after the break, scored by the impressive Chris Spencer after Josh Ireland and Ian Barnes had made the hard yards for him to score in the corner.

Despite the best efforts of all the team, Keighley could not break down the Queens defence again and fell behind to two late tries to go down 22-4.

Keighley A are away to West Leeds on Saturday.

l Cowling were on the end of a big defeat at Queensbury A as they went down 74-10 in the Pennine Supplementary Cup.

The South Craveners turned up with only 14 men but were a credit to themselves and their coach (former Queensbury player Darren Greenwood) as they battled all the way.

The score was only 30-10 to Queensbury playing down the hill but they turned on the style in the second half to walk away with it.

Silsden were unable to raise a side in their Andrew Bennett Memorial Trophy match at Kippax.