KEIGHLEY householders are being urged to be bright sparks this Christmas.

A warning has been issued about the dangers of overloading plug sockets and advice given about the safe use of appliances.

The plea has been made by NICEIC, a regulatory body for registered electricians.

It says many people busy with festive preparations overlook electrical safety issues, creating a potential fire risk.

“This is the month for partying and with an array of tasks to organise the host can often become overwhelmed or easily distracted,” said NICEIC technical expert, Darren Staniforth.

“But it is important to not get too carried away and to always keep safety front of mind. Otherwise, homeowners could risk putting themselves and their guests in danger.”

Tips include:

* Hand-held beauty appliances can reach extremely hot temperatures and take up to 40 minutes to fully cool down. Ensure appliances such as hair straighteners, curling tongs and hair dryers are properly turned off and unplugged when they are no longer in use

* Be sure to check that sockets aren’t being overloaded as this can lead to overheating and could cause a fire

* If you need additional heaters to keep your home warm, keep them on a flat surface and away from walls or curtains which could block ventilation

For more advice, visit