FOUR men have been sentenced for their part in late-night violence in a village which left a man with a double fracture to the jaw.

Owen O’Neill was punched in the face by Jack Norfolk after fighting erupted in Long Lane, Harden, on April 18 last year, Bradford Crown Court heard.

Norfolk, 22, of Arthur Street, Bingley, pleaded guilty to causing Mr O’Neill grievous bodily harm.

His co-accused George Bateman, 23, of North Walk, Long Lane, Harden; Damian Hill, 24, of Royd Street, Wilsden and Jack Love, 24, of Harden Road, Harden, all admitted affray.

All four defendants were sentenced to a 12-month community order with unpaid work and ordered to pay Mr O’Neill compensation.

Norfolk will do 180 hours of unpaid work and pay him £500. The other three men will do 120 hours of unpaid work and pay £200 each to Mr O’Neill.

Prosecutor Camille Morland said the incident of violence and disorder involved pushing and fighting from a group of people including the defendants.

At one stage, Bateman and Mr O’Neill were wrestling on the ground and the other three joined in the melee, the court heard.

Mr O’Neill then walked across the road and was punched by Norfolk.

Miss Morland said Norfolk first asked Mr O’Neill why he had attacked him, saying: “I thought we were mates,” before delivering the single blow.

Mr O’Neill needed surgery after his jaw was broken in two places.

The court heard that he still suffered pain, numbness and headaches and had been left anxious and wary.

The Recorder of Bradford, Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC, said the defendants were hard working and of previous good character.

The incident happened near The Golden Fleece, and the pub landlord spoke of them as normally being decent young men.

“It is an unusual situation for the area and for the defendants in this case,” Miss Morland said.

None of the men had been in any trouble in the 14 months they were awaiting sentence.

Julian White, for Norfolk, said Mr O’Neill had been a regular associate of his. He expressed his sincere regret for his actions that night.

Although others used violence against Mr O’Neill, Norfolk accepted that his single blow caused the injury.

Norfolk worked six days a week and was willing to pay Mr O’Neill compensation.

Stephen Wood, for Love, said he too was a hard working man who was genuinely sorry. Although not directly responsible for Mr O’Neill’s injury, Love had contacted him the next day to see if he was all right.