A FATHER of two and successful electrician who tried to make some easy cash by turning a house renovation project into a temporary drugs factory has been sentenced.

Scott Graves, 33, of Vale Grove, Silsden, was undertaking a renovation project at a property in Nelson Street, Keighley, when he hatched a plan to make money by growing cannabis.

He set up two grows, one in the cellar and one in an upstairs bedroom, with a total of 14 plants, which would have had a street value of around £6,600.

Prosecutor Dave McKay told Bradford Crown Court the criminal enterprise was uncovered due to the “poor ventilation” used in the house, which led to neighbours detecting a strong smell of cannabis coming from the property.

They reported it to police, who attended and found Graves driving away.

Police stopped Graves, who handed over the keys to the building, and officers entered and found the growing rooms complete with lighting, fans and plants.

Mr McKay said Graves played a “significant role” in setting up the drugs factory, and the enterprise was “clearly financially motivated”.

In mitigation, Christopher Styles told the court Graves has no previous convictions or cautions for any offences.

He said: “Mr Graves concedes this was financially motivated.

“He complied fully with police.

“Mr Graves has built a successful career as an electrician, leaving school and completing an apprenticeship before working his way up from the shop floor to a leading role.

“He has a partner of 15 years who has come to court to support him, two children under the age of ten, and a stable home.

“He is very remorseful and regretful of his actions.”

Passing sentence, Judge David Hatton QC said: “You accept this was wholly wrong and the provision of cannabis is a dangerous business. You should have known better.

“You pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity, this was a limited amount of cannabis, and you have shown genuine remorse and engaged fully with the probation service, so there will be no prison sentence.”

Graves was handed a 12 month community order, told to attend 15 rehabilitation days, and ordered to carry out 50 hours of unpaid work.