A MAN ejected from a nightclub by a bouncer on trial for manslaughter died from a traumatic brain injury, the jury heard yesterday.

James Etherington, 24, was allowed to die with dignity after treatment was withdrawn at Leeds General Infirmary 10 days after he was thrown out of Bijou, in Chapel Lane, Bingley.

Christopher Derham, a consultant neurosurgeon, said that Mr Etherington was admitted to the intensive care unit at LGI in the early hours of November 25, 2017.

In his statement read at Bradford Crown Court, Mr Derham said that Mr Etherington had an extensive traumatic brain injury.

“His prognosis was extremely poor and this was extensively discussed with his family,” he said.

Mr Derham stated that it was agreed that Mr Etherington “would be allowed to die with dignity” and he passed away on December 5, 2017.

Ciaran Spencer, 25, of Green Head Drive, Utley, Keighley, denies unlawfully causing the death of Mr Etherington.

It is the Crown’s case that he went “way beyond reasonable force” in ejecting Mr Etherington from the club after he refused to pay £4 for two alcoholic shots.

Sally Tinkler, a paramedic with Yorkshire Ambulance Service, said her crew received a call at 03.28am to “a life-threatening emergency.”

She said Mr Etherington was unconscious with blood pooling in his left ear and bruising to the back of his head. Miss Tinkler said she sent for the police and another ambulance crew. On the way to the hospital, Mr Etherington had a Glasgow Coma Scale reading of 3, the lowest that can be recorded.

Ben Rose, a friend of Mr Etherington for 10 years, told the jury they went out in Saltaire and Leeds before going to Bijou. They had both been drinking. He was “fairly merry” and James was “a happy drunk”.

Mr Rose said James had “a bit of a discussion with the barmaid” but he wasn’t looking and he did not know what it was about. He then saw all three bouncers having a conversation with James.

“My impression was that a situation had gone on, something had happened, and the bouncers had been called in,” Mr Rose said.

He saw James “being grappled outside the club”. His shoe came off and Mr Rose picked it up and went after him. “By the time I got to see James, he was on the floor and it seemed that the bouncers had put him in that position. He was on his back facing upwards. I knew he was unconscious straight away, which was obviously a worry,” Mr Rose said.

“There was a load of blood coming out of his ears but I didn’t pick up on that right away. I was so upset to see my friend in this state.”

Mr Rose said he was very angry and confronted the bouncers.

He described Spencer as being “quite smug.” When he asked him what he thought he was doing, he thought Spencer was going to hit him.

“He was very smug and quite happy that he had put my friend in that position. He was smiling and looking down at me while I was helping my friend,” Mr Rose said.

Defence counsel Richard Wright QC said in cross-examination that no-one else recalled Spencer smiling and looking smug.

“You’re trying to paint it one way, aren’t you?” he said.

Mr Rose agreed he was angry with the bouncers. “I was verbally saying things, but I never punched anyone. We were upset,” he said.

The trial resumes on Monday when the jury will hear evidence from the pathologist.