FIRE service chiefs have stressed again the importance of having smoke detectors in your home.

The message was issued following an incident at a house in Redcliffe Street, Keighley, when a fault in a fridge freezer led to the terraced property filling with smoke.

No detectors were fitted.

"The appliance - in the basement - had been smouldering for a while before the occupants of the property realised there was a problem," said watch manager Ahsan Ali, of Keighley Fire Station.

"They were only alerted when they smelled smoke.

"Detectors give you a vital early warning."

Fire crews from Keighley, Shipley and Bingley attended and used a special high-pressure fan to help clear the smoke.