HOUSEHOLDERS across Keighley are being urged to protect themselves against the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The plea has been issued as research shows that over a third of homeowners don’t have a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm installed.

Over 50 people die – and more than 4,000 are hospitalised – every year due to CO poisoning.

CO is an odourless and colourless gas that can be difficult to detect – warning signs of poisoning include tiredness, dizziness and headaches.

Now, rural heating trade body OFTEC – in support of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month – is urging householders to ensure they have working alarms fitted.

Spokesman Malcolm Farrow said: “Whilst smoke alarms are a common sight in our homes, there continues to be a lack of awareness over the risks associated with CO poisoning. With the weather turning colder and heating systems now being switched on for longer, especially as more of us now work from home, the dangers this year are higher.

“We want the installation of CO detectors to be viewed with equal importance as having a working smoke alarm. But remember, installing a CO alarm is no substitute for having heating equipment inspected and serviced at least annually by a competent technician.”

For more advice, visit