FIRE chiefs have made a renewed plea to householders over smoke alarms.

It follows an incident at a property in Keighley yesterday.

Firefighters were called out to a fire in the kitchen of a four-storey house at Belgrave Road, shortly before noon.

Cardboard near the cooker had caught fire.

There were no working smoke alarms in the property.

"The occupants were in the house and raised the alarm – but had the smoke alarms been working they would have been alerted to the situation sooner," said watch manager Ahsan Ali, of Keighley fire station.

"We would urge people to test their smoke alarms regularly and replace the batteries if necessary."

The fire was restricted to the cooker area, but the house was heavily smoke-logged.

A special high-pressure fan was used to help clear the smoke.

Crews from Keighley, Shipley and Fairweather Green fire stations attended.