Kirkburton 2 Steeton 1

STEETON really had to change things around with an unprecedented number of players missing for the trip to Kirkburton. Alistair Morgan came in for his first start of the season and Damien Whiteoak was recalled to add experience to the left-hand side of the pitch.

The game couldn’t have started better for Steeton with an Andy Holden corner being headed back across goal by Steve Pearson and Alistair Morgan's flick was bundled home by Lee Reilly after only a minute.

Steeton forced a number of corners, with Pearson causing all sorts of problems for the home defence, but they couldn't capitalise on territorial advantage.

Reilly's trickery in the box lead to him stinging the keeper's fingers and Declan Consoli was narrowly over with an effort. At the other end Joe Mason made a last-ditch challenge to prevent Jordan Tindle running through on goal.

The home side levelled on the half-hour mark when a break down their left saw a ball delivered across the face of goal and Tindle smashed the loose ball home.

Reilly appeared to be bundled over in the box but the referee awarded a goal kick when a penalty or corner would have been the correct decision.

The second period saw Steeton on the back foot but, despite their fledgling years, the back four stood up well.

Tim Hird went close for Steeton with a long-range effort and Holden fired wide after a good interchange. With neither team really looking like scoring, the home side struck. A ball over the top found Tindle with too much space and he fired home from the right-hand side of the box.

The lead was almost increased when a high ball into the box put goalkeeper Sam Moore in trouble and Tindle pounced, but Joe Mason did superbly to hook off the line and from the rebound Whiteoak cleared off the line again with the home side protesting that the ball had crossed for a goal.

Kirkburton were then unlucky not be awarded a spot-kick themselves as Moore appeared to block Tindle as he rounded him, but much to the surprise of both teams the referee waved away the home side's appeals.

Aaron Abbas fired over when a bit more composure would have seen him hit the target and the day was summed up when Mason and Holden combined on the right and the ball across the face of goal eluded Reilly by an inch and trickled to safety.

In injury time, Tindle's delight was tempered as he was sent off for a second yellow card.

Steeton boss Roy Mason said: "It was always going to be difficult with so many out and we can't expect to challenge for honours if we have so many key players missing.

"Credit to the lads that came in who all did well. The younger players will continue to improve on a weekly basis."

Steeton will be hoping that they are at full strength for their trip to leaders Huddersfield YMCA on Saturday.

Steeton: Moore, J Mason, Morgan, Meegan, Pearson, Hird , Holden, Whiteoak (Rooke), Reilly, Abass (Davies), Consoli.