Taylor's Timber West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division: Golcar United 1 Steeton 1

STEETON left things late as an injury-time leveller from skipper Michael Rhodes ensured that the Chevrons left Huddersfield with something from a second half that they dominated for long periods.

The game against the leaders got off to a frantic end-to-end start but it was Steeton who had the best chance when Lee Reilly, making his 200th appearance for the club, had a shot blocked.

Andy Briggs then did well to feed Reilly again but his effort was headed clear of the line and Graham Holmes headed the resulting corner wide of a post.

At the other end, Callum Meade had a free-kick deflected just wide, and then went closer still as a 20-yard snap shot just sailed over Wayne Mahomet's crossbar.

Steeton’s front two of Reilly and Holmes were causing problems, and they combined, only for the Golcar keeper to block well. The home side then took the lead as Steeton lost the ball on the Golcar left, with Meade striking it home from just inside the Steeton area.

Steeton’s bad luck in front of goal then continued as Briggs’ effort was again cleared off the line.

Stevie Pearson then stabbed wide from the ensuing corner when he looked a certain scorer.

Steeton were straight on the attack in the second half, Andy Holden, combining well with Joe Mason down the right, putting an effort just wide.

Olly Hunter then whipped in a superb free-kick from the left, Holmes heading narrowly wide.

Mason, not for the first time, whipped in a great cross but Holmes headed over this time as he arched himself well to get ahead of his marker.

Steeton then made three changes, introducing Jonson Butterfield for Briggs, Sowerbutts for Mason and Sam Rooke for Hunter as they went with three men up front.

Sowerbutts' trickery on the right led to a goalmouth scramble, with Alistair Morgan and Reilly both involved, and it looked as if the ball had crossed the line but the referee was ideally placed to rule that it hadn't.

As the game moved into stoppage time, the industrious Tim Hird won the ball and fed Rhodes, who put the ball into the danger zone, only for it to elude the Golcar keeper and end up in the net.

It was no more than Steeton deserved, and boss Roy Mason said: “I was delighted with the players.

"They worked so hard for each other and thoroughly deserved something out of the game.

"The team spirit is fantastic and that was shown in the celebrations when we scored.

"The fitness levels are really good and this showed as we were the dominant side in the second half.”

Steeton: Mahomet, Mason (Sowerbutts), Hunter (Rooke) , Morgan, Pearson, Hird, Holden, Rhodes, Reilly, Holmes, Briggs (Butterfield).

Taylor's Timber West Riding County Amateur League Division Two: Steeton Reserves 0 Route One Rovers 3

ROUTE One Rovers’ first visit to Summerhill Lane proved entertaining and the leaders left with all three points.

Rovers, who are averaging more than four goals a game, made their attacking intentions obvious from the start, and hit the bar twice, the side-netting once, brought an excellent save from Sam Mash and had a goal disallowed for offside  all in the first 15 minutes.

The first goal came after 16 minutes when a loose ball fell to Hassan Ali, who made no mistake with a half-volley from 15 yards.

Less than two minutes later, the hosts almost equalised but Will Knight’s fine effort cleared the bar.

Haz Naveed doubled the score after 21 minutes, stabbing the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

Steeton had a stronger second half but a third Rovers goal came after 70 minutes when skipper Waheed Khan sprang the offside trap, with Rovers having hit the bar twice beforehand and missed an open goal.
Steeton are tenth with 17 points.