West Yorkshire League Cup Round Two: Oxenhope Rec 2 Baildon 1

A GOAL five minutes before time saw Oxenhope come from behind to reach the third round in a game switched to Marley due to Baildon’s pitch being waterlogged.

Division One Rec dominated but found their Division Two opponents hard to break down.

Oxenhope started well as Tom Marshall’s perfect cross was met by a firm header by Lee Reilly but the Baildon keeper got down well to save it on the line.

Reilly was soon in the action again as he weaved his way past several defenders but his strike was just wide.

Dan Moriarty was then brought down on the edge of the area before he fired the resulting free-kick just over.

Baildon were reliant on breaks down field, Rec keeper Stu Devlin tipping a free-kick from distance over the bar. Oxenhope’s wide players Danny Driver and Owen Williamson were a constant threat, providing ammunition for their front runners.

Reilly fed Marshall, who beat his marker and surged into the box but with only the keeper to beat, his strike was turned around the post. The resulting corner saw a melee in the Baildon box with Reilly and Lewis Hopkinson having shots being blocked.

A flowing move involving Scott Nelson, Williamson and Reilly put Marshall through but, with the goal at his mercy, he snatched at his shot and it went wide.

It was totally against the run of play when the visitors grabbed the lead on 40 minutes when a Baildon striker fired home from distance following a defensive error.

Oxenhope continued in attacking mode in the second half. A cross from Driver was met by Marshall but his shot sailed over. Midfielder Luke Scott then tried his luck but his effort was blocked on the line.

Oxenhope were now camped in the Baildon half as the visitors clung on to their advantage, with the pitch deteriorating. On the hour-mark, Rec's constant pressure finally told. Hopkinson won the ball and fed Driver, who surged down the right and cut the ball across goal for Moriarty to rifle home from close range.

Oxenhope kept their foot on the gas but the playing surface and tiring legs saw them go more direct.

Baildon were always a danger on the break and in one rare foray into the home half, a final ball was fizzed in across goal from the left but there was no one forward to add the final touch.

With penalties looming the tie was clinched on 85 minutes. Luke Scott played the ball out to Williamson, who surged into the box, went past two defenders and fired the ball in from a narrow angle.

With energy levels now spent, Oxenhope played keep-ball to see out time and progress to the next round.

On Saturday they travel to Altofts in the league (2.30pm).

Oxenhope: Devlin, Driver, Williamson, Scott D, Nelson, White, Scott L, Hopkinson (Ward), Reilly, Moriarty, Marshall.

Oxenhope Reserves’ match with Field Reserves was postponed. They host Leeds City Reserves on Saturday (2.30pm).