West Riding County FA Sunday Cup quarter-finals: Crossflatts Village 3 Woodman Sports Club 1

GOALS from Michael Garnett, Oliver Metcalfe and a spot-kick from skipper Matthew Bentham saw Crossflatts advance to the semi-finals of the County Cup after a pulsating last-eight tie.

Village will now play Leeds Combination Association Premier League outfit HT Sports in the last four at County headquarters at Fleet Lane, Woodlesford, on a date yet to be decided.

The home side dominated the early exchanges and deservedly took the lead on 20 minutes. Village won a free-kick outside the Woodman box and Oliver Metcalfe's exquisite left-foot curler was helped on to the bar by Ben Clarke – only for Garnett to react quickest to fire his side in front.

Woodman had their goalkeeper to thank for keeping them in the tie with several outstanding saves. The away side then had a good spell before the break as Village seemed to grow frustrated with missed chances.

Assistant-manager Les Cooper's rousing half-time team-talk had a positive impact despite the away side equalising on 50 minutes after they were awarded a penalty.

Pint-sized winger Lee Taylor took a tumble in the Village box under pressure from left-back Matthew Wilson, and referee Ricky Taylor pointed to the spot, Nathan Jones making no mistake from 12 yards.

The home side then proved they were the better side by taking control of the game when their fitness levels showed on a boggy pitch as their Wakefield & District Sunday League opponents tired.

Things got a bit heated just after the hour-mark with a few fierce tackles flying in from both sides. Thankfully, referee Taylor restored calmness to proceedings after a 12-man brawl broke out following a tackle from Woodman's John Painter.

Flatts regained the lead with 15 minutes remaining when James Gill's pass cut the away side's defence in half, allowing the advancing Oliver Metcalfe to run into the box unchallenged as he placed the ball past the onrushing Clarke with aplomb.

Village completed the scoring in the 88th minute after they were awarded a spot-kick for handball. Skipper Matthew Bentham finished nonchalantly, sending Clarke the wrong way, much to the delight of the home supporters who had been in excellent voice all morning.

Cooper was full of praise for the character his side showed in the second period. He said: "It was a fantastic second-half showing after conceding a dodgy penalty.

"We could have easily dropped our heads after that but we dug deep. The spirit out on that pitch when they tried to bully us was second to none. That gave them something to think about. But we also proved we can play football and score goals.

"I have to say that once again we missed too many chances but we can work on that. We showed excellent desire all over the pitch and we got what we deserved. We beat them in every department all over the pitch. Bring on the semi-finals."

Player-manager Kevin Gill praised the fans who once again turned out in huge numbers.

He said: "I cannot thank our fans enough. There must have been over 100 of them down to watch and they give us that extra edge when things are getting a bit difficult. I hope they were proud of the team."

Metcalfe was awarded man-of-the-match for the second week running after another magical midfield display.