Crossflatts Village 3 Olympic 2

Bradford Sunday Alliance League Cup Semi-Finals

CHAMPIONSHIP side Crossflatts Village came from a goal behind to topple runaway Premiership leaders Olympic to advance to the final in style.

The Premiership pacesetters opened the scoring after seven minutes when Danaaly Yasin’s 20-yard strike gave Village keeper Dan Thorpe no chance.

Flatts then settled down and dominated possession - and they got back on level terms after 20 minutes. They were awarded a penalty kick when Michael Garnett was up-ended in the box by Ryan Metcalfe. James Gill’s spot-kick sneaked over the line despite the best efforts of Olympic keeper Kyle Trennary.

The home side deservedly took the lead on 36 minutes. Matt Wilson floated in a corner from the right-hand side and it was headed on at the back post by Gill. The ball then found its way to Michael Garnett who nodded home.

Flatts nearly doubled their lead on the hour when Connor Erangey got the ball under control and let fly with his left foot from 30 yards. The ball was arrowing into the top corner but somehow Trennary tipped it over the bar.

The away side were reduced to 10 men when Osman Malik was awarded a second yellow card after lashing out after he was fouled by Garnett.

The sending off seemed to galvanise Olympic and they levelled matters on 75 minutes.

Anil Singh’s speculative free-kick bounced unkindly in front of Flatts keeper Dan Thorpe and the ball ricocheted off his nose into the path of away front man Steve Hollingsworth who made no mistake from close range.

Thorpe made amends moment later when the away side won the ball straight back after the restart. Temor Khan unleashed a left foot curler that was heading for the back of the net.

With the ball heading for the top corner of the goal, Khan wheeled away in celebration, only for Thorpe to produce a miraculous save, tipping the ball on to the post, much to the relief of the home crowd.

Gill won the ball on the right-hand-side by the half-way line. He then went on to nutmeg Babair Butt and play the ball out to the right-flank to the dangerous Colin Schofield.

Schofield waltzed past their full-back and pulled the ball back for Gill who had continued his run into the box. Gill then kept his head and defied a bad bounce to drill the ball home for his second.

Olympic didn’t give up, despite being down to 10 men and they pressed for an equaliser but the home side held firm.

Flatts must now wait until April 22 to find out who they will meet in the final, when Station Hotel are due to play Westwood Park in the second semi-final.

It was an excellent team performance by the home side but it was their winger Schofield who was awarded the man-of-the-match award.

Flatts must now focus their attentions to the West Riding County FA Cup. They now travel to West Riding County Headquarters on Friday night to face Leeds Combination Association League outfit HT Sports in the semi-finals.

The club will then host local rivals Keighley Town in the semi-finals of the Keighley and District FA Cup on Sunday, April 15.