Silsden AFC 5 St Helens Town 2

A CHRIS Wademan brace helped Silsden returned to the top of the table with a thrilling mid-week win over St Helens Town.

The Cobbydalers dominated possession and looked comfortable at 3-0 up after 47 minutes but a three-minute spell midway through the second half made for a nervous few minutes before normal service was resumed.

Silsden were quickly on the attack, Matty Moses bursting down the right on several occasions.

His first cross was marginally too high but the second one was perfect for Wademan to head goalwards. His effort was blocked but Rhodes hit the rebound over the bar.

Moses' third sortie down the right ended with a cross to Arley Barnes who swiftly moved the ball onto Matty Tomas whose side-step and a low shot put Silsden one up.

Barnes set up Rhodes who cut the ball back to Wademan. His shot was narrowly wide then Mark Everingham crossed the ball to Aidan Kirby who saw his shot saved by Carl Williams.

Moses again sped down the right and crossed low, Rhodes was denied by Williams but minutes later Wademan was tripped in the penalty area. Wademan made it two with his spot kick.

Wademan was halted by a superb tackle by Andy Webster and then Rhodes sent Tomas away.

Another block but Everingham kept the pressure on, but the shouts for a penalty being ignored.

Rhodes and Kirby then combined but Williams made a fantastic save from Kirby. The latter was again denied by the post and then the keeper before he hit an effort over the bar.

The closest the visitors came to the Silsden goal was a super cross from Shaun Brady.

St Helen’s had been totally out-classed in the first half but Silsden needed some insurance. Barnes and Kirby set Wademan up in the first minutes of the second half but his shot was off target.

A minute later Wademan made it three, latching onto a cross from Kirby, who had been released by Everingham.

If anyone deserved a goal it was Kirby for his constant pressing of the visitor's defence. He was denied by a fantastic save from Williams before the visitors made a double substitution.

Three minutes later the Merseysiders had pulled a goal back.

Andrew Presho managed to volley a corner over his shoulder and over Callum Jakovlevs. After another three minutes the visitors netted a second when Liam Diggle rounded Jacovlevs to slide the ball into an empty net.

Silsden were rattled and their play became disjointed for a short spell.

Niall Sultan replaced Tomas. Two minutes later Moses, Wademan and Sultan combined for a fourth goal.

Kaine's pace broke up a St Helen's attack before a bullet header from Kendal was tipped over by Williams. As the game went into stoppage time, Kirby grabbed a fifth.

On Friday, Silsden make the short trip to Nelson and on Tuesday, April 17, they visit Atherton LR.

Meanwhile, Silsden stormed to a 4-0 home victory over New Mills on Saturday.