City of Liverpool 3

Silsden 1

SILSDEN'S interest in their year's FA Cup ended at the extra preliminary stage following a defeat on Merseyside.

Visiting boss Danny Forrest named an unchanged side following the draw with Charnock Richard but, just before the team sheets went in, centre-back Reece Lyndon had to pull out to be replaced by Dan Illingworth for his first game of the season.

The hosts' Craig Cairns broke clear in the opening minute, but his shot was easily gathered by Callum Jakovlevs.

Two more chances followed, the Silsden keeper slicing a clearance on the first and the referee turning down shouts for a penalty on the second. Luke Rhodes set up Lee Spires with a through ball but his shot was wide of the target with their keeper, Ben Ascroft, off his goalline.

Liverpool's John McGrath curled an effort wide from the right wing. The pressure told but the first clear chance came from an uncharacteristic mistake by Josh Kaine. The skipper’s square pass was easily intercepted by Cairns, who broke into the penalty area. Illingworth tripped him but Jakovlevs saved the subsequent spot-kick.

City were well on top and Jaime McDonald was just wide with a 40-yard effort before Holt chipped the ball over the Silsden keeper from wide on the left. Two minutes later McDonald broke down the right and crossed.

Kaine failed to clear the danger and Craig Bentham was beaten to the cross. Holt made it two.

Ten minutes before the break the Cobbydalers finally settled. Luke Rhodes and Arley Barnes began to gain some control of the midfield and Bentham chipped the ball to Lee Spires who headed down to Davies.

Davies’ powerful shot was blocked. Bentham then curled in a superb cross but Ascroft was the equal of it.

Kyle Hancock hit a 25-yard effort wide before Bentham almost pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time.

At 2-0 Silsden were still in the game but, with Jakovlevs 10 yards off his goalline four minutes into the second period, McDonald hit a screamer from just inside the Silsden half which sailed into the visitors' net.

On 56 minutes, Silsden pulled a goal back. Sultan hit a super shot after breaking through two tackles, which Lester couldn’t hold, and Spires scrambled the ball home.

Twenty minutes from the end Moses was upended in the Liverpool area after he had latched onto Sultan’s through ball. Barnes set himself up but Hancock got involved in a dispute with McGrath. Both were booked, while the spot kick was delayed. Barnes hit a weak effort which was saved.