Silsden 4

Winsford United 2

LEE Spires grabbed a brace as Silsden defeated nine-man Winsford United.

Winsford had the wind on their backs in the opening half and began positively, with Silsden forced to defend. Sammy Lee managed to punch an in-swinging corner clear in the opening minutes and a free-kick from Scott Taylor was cleared, before Arley Barnes was booked for a late challenge.

Barnes set up Lee Spires with a defence-splitting pass but Michael Langley, in the visitors’ goal, was swiftly out of his penalty area to clear. Kyle Hancock then threaded the ball towards Niall Sultan but Dean Clarke read the danger and cleared. At the other end, David Short wasted a good chance, first shooting straight into the arms of Lee, before seeing Dan Illingworth block another effort.

The game changed in a two-minute spell when Lee Spires hit a brace. First he latched onto a defence–splitting pass from Craig Bentham before nut-megging the keeper. Then he pulled away from the defence where he was found by an astute pass from Barnes. He rifled in a cross shot beyond the reach of Langley.

Winsford responded with a fine run by Sam Marshall but his shot lacked direction and power and Lee saved comfortably. At the other end Matty Tomas got behind the visitors' defence but none of his team-mates could get a touch on his teasing cross.

The visitors were still a threat. Mike Koral got down the left but Lee denied him to preserve the two-goal cushion. A minute later Scott Taylor had broken down the right. His cross into the Silsden goal area was not cleared and Koral blasted it home from close range.

In the five minutes before the break Will Storrie replaced the injured Sultan, Hancock was cautioned and Dan Kerr was dismissed after bringing down Spires, who had broken through on goal.

Koral equalised with 40 minutes left on the clock.

Koral was finally booked 10 minutes later. A Bentham header set up Spires but he shot over the bar. Winsford responded with a break by Koral who slid the ball to Sam Marshall. He should have scored. Storrie broke down the right…he too should have scored.

Finally Hancock netted after Spires’ shot had ricocheted off both posts. Barnes (hamstring) was replaced by Arron Davis. Tomas broke down the left but no-one could get a touch on his tempting cross.

The ten men were still in the game but soon they became nine. Davies was kicked on the head by Jones. Immediately there was a big melee. More cautions followed before play resumed.

At the other end, Langley made a stunning save from Tomas before Koral crossed to Marshall. He headed wide with the goal at his mercy.

In stoppage time, Davis ran the length of the pitch to slide home the fourth.