Silsden 3

West Didsbury and Chorlton 0

SILSDEN moved to the top of the Hallmark Security League Premier Division with a superb performance of pass and move, push and run football.

As early as the third minute Craig Bentham hit a superb cross to leading scorer Lee Spires, who headed goalwards. The Didsbury defence managed to clear the ball before Dan Illingworth went close with a header from another cross. Kyle Hancock’s cross was intercepted but Reece Kendall foiled the visitors with a good tackle in Tuesday's game.

The Cobbydalers were playing some scintillating football with intricate passing at speed. Aidan Kirby went close before Mark Everingham curled the ball into the box, where Oliver Culkin saved Spires’ header. Matty Tomas crossed to Hancock who shot over the bar before the visitors created an opening.

The pace of Ashley Leather on the right was a test for even Kendall, but the winger’s first shot was wide and his second effort was cleared by Josh Kaine.

A crunching tackle involving Kendall and Jamie McLellan led to the Didsbury man having to be substituted. Didsbury had chances but Leather shot wide and Arley Barnes cleared up after Illingworth had put his own keeper under pressure.

The opener came after 33 minutes when Culkin failed to hold a shot from Everingham. Kirby was on it in a flash to slide it home.

Tomas’ shot, from a tight angle, was just wide, before the winger combined with Hancock to create a chance for Spires, whose header shaved the far post. Another header was cleared before Kirby notched a second, having played a one-two with Everingham on the stroke of half-time.

Straight from the re-start the visitors played the ball from left back to the right wing with some slick passing. The ball was crossed into the Silsden box where Kaine cleared after a Lee had failed to hold the ball at the first attempt.

Silsden were soon on the front foot again with passes interchanged swiftly. Kirby went close again before Everingham hit another effort over the bar after a four-man move.

Didsbury then came into the game with Leather still posing a threat. Jamie McLellan went close with a snap shot.

But Silsden killed the game off with a superb goal. Tomas hit a low ball towards the penalty spot. Hancock feigned to shoot, attracting two defenders but the ball ran to SPIRES who slid it home.

Spires and Bentham came off, replaced by Recce Lyndon and Luke Rhodes. The visitors still tried to get forwards but they were indebted to keeper Culkin, who thwarted Everingham and Illingworth from making it five.

Ryan Eiselt’s tackle on Kirby denied the Silsden striker a hat-trick and Culkin gathered at the feet of Hancock to keep the score to three.