Albion Sports 0 Silsden 1

SILSDEN made hard work of their victory over a spirited Albion Sports in the FA Vase second qualifying round on Sunday.

Cobbydalers left-back Reece Kendall's 40-yard screamer in the 33rd minute, which dipped into the far corner of George Clarke’s net, was the difference between the two sides.

Joe Mitchell made his first start after returning to the Cobbydalers and Arley Barnes dropped to right back in the absence of Craig Bentham.

Silsden started brightly with Kyle Hancock seeing his first shot saved by Clarke. Luke Rhodes then sliced an effort wide as did Mitchell after slick work from Will Storrie.

Aidan Kirby had a shot cleared for a corner which was whipped in, Dan Illingworth seeing his header cleared.

Albion, after 20 minutes of control, then pressurised the Silsden defence into conceding a free-kick. Sammy Lee saved George Gomersall’s low shot. A speculative scissors kick from Ombeni Ruhananduka fell to Alhassane Keita, who shot over the bar.

Aidan Kirby almost nodded Silsden into the lead with a back header and Mark Everingham played a one-two with Storrie. A crunching tackle on Storrie resulted in an injury to defender, Alex Laird, who had to be substituted. Silsden then took the lead.

Silsden were comfortable at the back with Kaine breaking up another attack. A superb move down the left ended when Everingham’s cross found Kirby, whose shot was wide of the target.

As the half came to an end Joe Barden and Ruhananduka fired over the Silsden goal.

Albion played some attractive football at the start of the second-half but couldn’t get past Kaine and Illingworth. The Cobbydalers broke forwards, Kirby’s through ball set up Everingham but Clarke was swiftly off his line to gather his shot.

Silsden began to apply more pressure but there was no end product. Everingham came the closest to doubling Silsden’s lead but he failed to get a clean contact on Kendall’s superb through ball.

Silsden continued to push forwards but, with the wind in their favour, Albion were always dangerous on the break. Lamin Janneh and George Gomersall went close before Mitchell’s low shot hit the stanchion at the other end.

A poor clearance from Lee gave Moise Kroma a clear chance but he shot over. Then a mix-up between the keeper and Illingworth gave the same player an opening but he shot wide. Illingworth and Kaine were superb at the back but there was little protection in the dying minutes when Ruhananduka broke through and set up Kroma again. Lee made up for his earlier mistake with a superb save which saw the Cobbydalers through.

Silsden manager Danny Forest said: “The performance wasn’t our best but the result was the main thing.

"We could have scored more goals and conceded more.

"We weren’t clinical in front of goal and not quick enough to support Aidan Kirby but after conceding three the previous Tuesday a clean sheet was very pleasing.”

The Cobbydalers will travel to Staveley Miners Welfare in the first round proper of the FA Vase on October 13.