Silsden 1

City of Liverpool 1

SILSDEN were forced to take a share of the spoils in their top-of-the-table clash with leaders City of Liverpool in Hallmark Security League Premier Division on Tuesday night.

Despite the windy conditions, the match was a credit to the division, ending all-square.

On Saturday, Silsden had suffered their first defeat, while the 'Purps' had won the nine of their 10 league games.

They bolstered their forward line by re-signing the prolific Joe Gaughan from Colne FC on Monday, but his registration did not come through in time for this clash, which proved crucial in the end.

The Merseysiders started brightly using the long ball, but not pumped forwards expectantly, they were accurate in their delivery. Silsden, with Arley Barnes superb in the opening minutes, were their equal.

The Cobbydalers almost scored with their first attack. Aidan Kirby chested the ball down to Lee Spires who slid the ball to Niall Sultan on the right. He hit a low drive which shaved the far post.

The pace of the Purps forwards provided a stern test for the Yorkshiremen and Sammy Lee did well to save from Tom Peterson.

A mistake in the Silsden defence was cleared up by Barnes and Craig Bentham headed another cross out before Lee saved a low shot from Danny Dalton.

Silsden responded with some slick passing between Kirby and Lee Spires, who created a chance for Joe Mitchell whose shot was saved by Ben Ascroft. Joe Holt then broke clear but Lee saved his weak shot before Hancock hit a quick free-kick to Spires who headed inches wide.

It was end-to-end with Karl Clair curling in at one end and Sultan cutting in between two defenders before shooting at the other end.

Reece Kendall denied John McGrath with a last-ditch tackle, while Dan Illingworth and Barnes were immense at the back.

The deadlock was finally broken on 32 minutes when Mitchell fed Kyle Hancock who saw his shot deflected beyond the reach of Ascroft.

The visitors broke forwards with the wind at their backs. Kendall cleared Clair’s effort for a corner but when the ball was swung into the box, Paul Williams shot over the bar.

City had a purple patch with Kevin McEllin running the midfield. Barnes was on hand to block his goal-bound effort before Silsden counter-attacked. Despite some slick passing they couldn’t create a clear chance and in the final minutes of the half Lee fumbled a shot but Barnes and Illingworth cleared up.

The second half started with the same tempo. Everingham chased a through ball and Luke Denson missed the chance to clear it. Everingham shot narrowly wide of the far post. Illingworth broke-up a counter-attack down the left and slid the ball forwards, where it was eventually worked to Spires who curled his shot wide.

Silsden came close to doubling their lead when Kirby fed Spires in the six-yard box. Suddenly Dalton slid across the goalline to block the shot. Hancock latched onto the next loose ball but shot over the bar.

Silsden might have been two up but Peterson broke free leaving defenders in his wake. Lee came off his line but the City forward calmly slipped in the equaliser. Lee did well to deny Joe Holt the chance to put the visitors ahead.

Both sides made substitutions with Everingham and Spires being replaced by Tomas and Storrie. Cairns replaced McDonald for the visitors and when Denson was injured on came Foy.

Silsden had a let off minutes later. The ball was crossed to John Magrath in the goal area, but he missed it. Then Bentham cleared another goalbound effort.

Silsden responded with a swift break. Sultan was tripped in the penalty area. Kirby placed the ball on the spot. He stepped up but fired over the bar.

In the final 10 minutes Hancock shot over. Mitchell and Hancock set up another chance for Kirby but his shot was inches wide. Kirby then fed Hancock but the midfielder’s effort curled wide.

The points were shared. The visitors were the happier having been a goal down and maintained their unbeaten run.