Staveley Miners Welfare 2

Silsden 2

NINE-MAN Silsden earned a replay in a lively FA Vase first round clash at Staveley Miners Welfare.

The Cobbydalers were on the road for their third away game in this season’s FA Vase at the home of the Trojans.

Welfare were soon into their stride with Liam Greenfield firing one effort wide before Kumbirai Mutamba fired over after the unpredictable wind had caught out Reece Lyndon. It was difficult for both teams to judge the direction and strength of the wind but eventually they got some semblance of control.

Josh Kaine’s superb tackle denied Mutamba after Kyle Hancock had been dispossessed. A deft turn by Adam Baskerville ended with a comfortable save from Sammy Lee before Hancock’s low shot was saved at the other end.

Joe Gaughan hit a low drive from 35 yards which Myles Wright, in the home goal, parried for a corner. Charlie Oglesby then cleared Reece Kendall’s cross after good work by Aidan Kirby.

Silsden opened the scoring on 31 minutes when Will Storrie latched onto Gaughan’s through ball and slid the ball wide of the keeper. A minute later it was all square when Jahmal Riley ran through a static Silsden defence to shoot wide of Lee.

Storrie appeared to be tripped on a run through at the start of the second half but no whistle went.

First Oglesby and then keeper Wright cleared dangerous corners by Hancock before the Trojans counter-attacked. Bentham managed to block Greenfield’s effort before Mutamba shot wide.

Midway through the half Kaine slipped as the Miners had a two-on-one. Barnes read the danger and cleared at the expense of a corner.

Silsden then went close on two occasions. Hancock and Gaughan exchanged passes before the ball was fed to Kirby. His shot was marginally wide. Barnes fed Luke Baldwin who was denied by Connor Williamson who sliced the ball over his own bar. Five minutes later Gaughan slid the ball to Reece Kendall. His fierce shot was only parried by Wright and Kirby tapped it in.

Substitute Tyla Bell, unmarked in the goal area, headed home for Staveley. The Silsden defensive wall managed to block Sam Finlaw’s free-kick and Lee tipped Greenfield’s curler round his post.

Chris Wademan, after a six month lay-off, replaced Baldwin. Immediately he broke through the home defence but Jones headed his shot clear.

In stoppage time Wademan’s challenge was deemed worthy of a red card. At the other end Kaine blocked Baskerville’s effort on the goalline and Kendall cleared.

Silsden went close early on after Kirby set up Storrie. His firm low shot was well saved by Wright.

The Trojans’ Parkin sliced wide after being set up by Riley before the hobbling Recce Lyndon cleared three efforts in succession. A corner was headed by Joe Pugh but Lee gathered.

Barnes sent Kirby away but he was shattered. Kaine and Gaughan set him up again but it was clear his day was up and he was replaced by Danny Forrest.

With the clock ticking down the Miners burst into the Silsden box. A trip by Hancock resulted a penalty. Up stepped substitute Pugh. Lee dived to his right and saved the spot-kick. In the melee that followed Lyndon suffered an injury by a dangerous challenge. Hancock protested and was sent off.

Staveley Miners Welfare: Wright, Jones, Claxton, Finlaw, Oglesby, Williamson, Davies (Parkin 64), Mutamba (Baugh 64), Baskerville, Riley (Bell 45), Greenfield (Pugh 105). Sub not used: Herbert.

Silsden: Lee, Bentham, Kendall, Kaine, Lyndon, Baldwin (Wademan 80), Barnes, Hancock, Storrie (Craven 98) Kirby (Forrest 114), Gaughan. Subs not used. Darkins. Keen.