Old Brodleians 32

Keighley 7

KEIGHLEY stayed at the bottom of Yorkshire One following a heavy away defeat - their sixth in the opening seven games of the season.

A difficult afternoon for Keighley saw them once again up against a much larger pack of forwards.

As always, Keighley defended well and kept the Old Brods at bay for long periods of time.

Eventually they were caught offside, and a penalty for centre Phil Town.

Keighley responded well and had a number of forays deep into the opposition territory, nearly scoring on a number of occasions, especially when full back Jake Duxbury was able to join the line.

However, last passes were forced and went astray. Old Brods, after pressuring the Keighley line, managed their first try when wing forward Alex Dawson drove his way over.

Old Brods, on the ascendancy, used their forwards to drive play upfield, which allowed their backs time and space to attack.

Once again some outstanding defensive work from the Keighley forwards and Alan Ebbrell and Sean Kelly in the backs broke down a number of promising moves.

Towards the half time whistle a poor kick from Keighley gave Old Brods free possession, moving the ball through the hands and prop Callum Thompson scored wide out.

The second half started well for Keighley, a concerted effort gave them the opportunity to camp in the opposition territory.

A series of quickly taken penalties gave number eight Leigh Sugden the chance to drive forward, scrum half Lucas Uren was on hand to use his strength to power his way over.

Rob Wilkinson, who had replaced the injured Alex Brown, added the conversion.

Old Brods, playing down the slope, pushed play deep into the corner which led to a series of rucks and a try for second row Tom Hanson. From this point onwards, with a number of Keighley players off the field due to injury, it was a more a less a case of damage limitation.

Some brave Keighley defence frustrated the Old Brod’s attacking rhythm, but once again the effort was in vain and a try for Old Brods prop Joe Kafatolu, which was converted by Town.

With time running out, Old Brods finished the game with a try for Town, who also added the conversion.