Silsden 0

Garstang 2

SILSDEN were knocked out of the Hallmark Security League Macron League Cup by Garstang at the first round stage.

The Cobbydalers were far from their best but they created enough chances to have won the game.

With a number of injuries, Silsden were rocked by the late withdrawal of Dan Illingworth, injured while walking his dog. Danny Forrest might well have been able to give skipper Josh Kaine, struggling for full fitness, a place on the bench but Kaine came on with the squad bereft of a number of players.

The Cobbydalers were pushed back at the start, with Alan Coar shooting wide then seeing his second effort blocked by the skipper.

Silsden were soon pressing at the other end. Arley Barnes had a shot blocked, as did Craig Bentham. The latter hit a superb free-kick into the Garstang area but Reece Kendall headed over.

The visitors denied the Yorkshire side time and space in the last third of the pitch, but the Cobbydalers almost took the lead on 20 minutes when an audacious Gaughan free-kick from 40 yards out rattled the bar.

Kirby flicked a ball through to Barnes whose shot was blocked, before Luke Baldwin brought a good save from Will Kitchen.

Although they defended in depth, Garstang were quick on the break. Bentham’s superb interception halted Coar before a mistake by Kendall gave the striker a chance.

Bentham blocked his shot. At the other end Storrie saw his shot saved after cutting in from the right, before Kaine broke up another counter-attack.

In the dying minutes of the half, Kieran O’Conner headed Tom Entwisle’s corner over the bar.

At the other end, Gaughan hit a free-kick into the defensive wall after Storrie had been upended.

The pattern continued in the second half, with Kendall clearing an early attack. Kirby set up Storrie but his shot was blocked before Baldwin’s drive hit the side netting.

At the other end, Lee was injured as Coar fired over the bar.

With defences on top, few chances were created before a slick move on seventy minutes involving Gaughan and Kirby set up Storrie. His shot was blocked.

Two more efforts were charged down before Garstang broke away and substitute Ric Coar broke through to net the opener.

Forrest replaced Ellis Craven and was set-up by Gaughan. His effort was just over the bar. A careless pass by Everingham was punished as Coar netted his second.

Tomas and Ben Darkins came on for Storrie and Kaine.

In the dying minutes Forrest fed Gaughan. His shot was marginally too high and then Barnes saw his volley saved. Tomas crossed and Gaughan hit another just over.

Silsden: Lee, Everingham, Kendall, Kaine (Darkins 80), Bentham, Craven (Forrest 70), Barnes, Gaughan, Storrie (Tomas 80), Kirby, Baldwin. Sub not used. Hardisty-Blackwell.